Second system at Courtiestown

Good Morning All,

The NAC32.5, bought locally along with a NAP250 (ironically this unserviced NAP250 is the youngest of the 4 I own), has just come back from Class A so I’ve started setting up the ‘second’ system on the kitchen floor to ‘warm’ it up a bit.

As you can see it is a hodge-podge in terms of vintage consisting of a NAC32.5, 2off Hicaps, a NAXO 2-4 and the one NAP250. I’ll be ‘borrowing’ a NAP250 from the main system and dragging the Sara’s down from upstairs over the weekend.

Regards

Richard

9 Likes

Oh, you have a rare collectible (probably) Woolworths mains block too!

1 Like

Isn’t this the mains block @frenchrooster uses for his microwave… :rofl: [to make a reference to a parallel thread]

2 Likes

What’s going to happen to the Briks? Are you running them passive or is the ‘loan’ temporary?

A fuse, a switch and a neon - a lot of variables to discuss!

2 Likes

:scream: :scream: :scream::joy:

1 Like

Back to reality. @linesrg This does look like an exciting experiment, and I’m looking forward to your review of this set up.

The loan will be very temporary, I just want to make sure that everything else works.

Still considering replacing the one NAP250 with two NAP135’s but it’s all about the right item turning up at the right price at the right time.

Yes the wiring is very temporary…

Regards

Richard

2 Likes

Good Afternoon All,

In and around the rugby I’ve now set-up and tested the system and can report it works - yippee.

The bad news relates to the NAP250 I’ve ‘borrowed’ from the main system. I deliberately targeted the one of the three that has been tripping.

The case was notably warmer than the case of the other two, bordering on hot. It seems pretty obvious that something is not right as all it is doing is sitting there idling so should be running lukewarm at best.

Have sent an EM to Darran at Class A but does anybody on here have any experience of NAP250’s running hot?

I’ll be putting the unserviced NAP250 back in to the main system after the Scotland - England game. Unfortunately the Welsh only managed to finish second in Dublin :cry:

Regards

Richard

Loudspeakercablelenght?

Unlikely. In the main system I’m using Linn K600 from the three amplifiers to the Isobariks and both cables are the Naim specified 3.5mtrs long.

The K400 being used in the second system is ‘only’ 2.5mtrs but I don’t think it has any bearing.

I’ll be unscrewing the feet shortly and having a Mk.I eyeball although I’m not expecting anything obvious to show up.

Regards

Richard

I want to put together a second system to go into my garden office (about 13 x 12 feet) with wired internet. I am thinking of a Naim streaming pre-amp and ATC active speakers. Recommendations, please. I want to buy used equipment to keep cost down

Might be an idea to start a new thread?

I have no experience/ knowledge of Naim front ends.

Regards

Richard

Is it still hot after a while with no speaker cable? That will tell you if the cable’s an issue.

Yeti,

The one NAP250 was still getting hotter than the other two when it went back into the main system but I think I have now solved the ‘problem’ in that I believe it was down to the plugs on the end of the cable.

They are as far as I know the ‘correct’ Linn item but the ‘prongs’ had become ‘over compressed’ on some of them making them a loose fit in the sockets in either the amplifier or the speaker.

I have spread them all out using a jewellers’ screwdriver so that they are all a firm fit and the problem does seem to have gone away.

I have now also split the NAP250’s and Supercaps from the NAC52, SNAXO etc. so they each have their own racks and used 140mm spacers all around to allow more air to access things as well.

I must admit that I probably need to re-do it as I put the ‘power’ bits on the left and then when it came time to connect things discovered that the Burndy’s were a bit stretched…

Regards

Richard

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.