Secondhand prices

Naim equipment has always tended to hold its value, so ex-demo/pre-loved/secondhand equipment has previously been something of a no-brainer.

I’ve recently seen equipment on offer I might have jumped at a few years ago, but when you see items which are five years old ex-demo and have 20% off current not 5 year old prices you start to think especially given hiked servicing costs which may be needed in 5 year+.

I really think the servicing/repair price hikes last year may be a major disincentive to buy used equipment.

1 Like

I’ve noticed an increase in secondhand prices of Naim kit just recently, I took this as an increased demand owing to recent price increases.

2 Likes

That’s interesting but when you consider hiked servicing costs generally it may be a false economy now buying used if you get my drift.

1 Like

Although I think the used/new ratio is still roughly the same, I’d say it was more supply and demand. Do you want a 282 at £5300 or an 82 for £1300? Many will plump for the latter and save 4k!

3 Likes

I want a 52 even cheaper! :grinning:

2 Likes

Gosh that’s depressing, just checked/edited my profile and am now in the 55+ category!

1 Like

I noticed the second hand prices increase last year when Naim struggled to get chips for their systems and has several month delays. So the desperate ones, just brought second hand

3 Likes

Which is I guess my point - used prices higher as is servicing/repair, so if supply was fairly instant you might be better off taking the hit for ‘new’.

1 Like

Half your luck - wish I was back there :grinning:

2 Likes

Agreed. Sadly, I think it shows what seems to me, to be the much ‘harder’, commercial approach being taken, by Naim, in so many aspects now.

If we run this forward, its likely that some people will simply decide servicing is too expensive and their Naim units will either be left ‘as is’, to deteriorate. Or - if they have deep pockets - they will be sold on and replacements bought. Perhaps this may cause used prices to drop - as more units would be available…? But I doubt this will compensate sufficiently to cover servicing.

Long term, this is a bad move for the Naim Audio brand - IMO.
Its also not very Naim.

YMMV, etc … its the Interwebzzz…

PS. Glad I have been able to ‘benefit’, from buying pre-loved, before this hit… :astonished:

3 Likes

Perhaps the higher costs may encourage other people to become Naim Approved Servicing Engineers. I wonder if Naim would still allow that to occur.

WitchHat do service, but they are not Naim approved - perhaps that could change

3 Likes

No that would be a very positive move, by Naim. But… IMO - probably highly unlikely - sadly… :confused:

It would require the work to be done to Naim factory standards, using Naim supplied and selected parts. If they wished to deviate from that or offer their own modifications or “upgrades” then it would be difficult, or more likely impossible for Naim to endorse.

1 Like

I think second-hand prices across the board have risen over the last couple of years. Not only a Naim issue. That being said I do think some ex-dem prices for Naim are unrealistically high. My dealer has a policy of moving on demo gear whilst relatively new compared to others. I have got good deals on kit this way and had the benefit of it being well burnt in. I have though seen some 4-year-old Naim kit with not enough of a discount to make it a good buy. There are good bargains out there if you are astute and do your research well.

Where are these Naim approved engineers? I know of only one.

1 Like

In the UK, it’s Darran at Class A.

1 Like

Richard, is it possible that you can get from Naim HQ a list of European approved service agents?

Thanks

When chatting with Darran he explained that it took quite a while to become authorised by Naim such are their exacting standards.

1 Like

It’s something best asked of the distributors. Most of the bigger ones should have the facility to service Naim kit to factory standard using Naim supplied parts, such as Focal Naim Germany (nee Musicline), and Latham Audio covering Benelux. IIRC LASA in Italy are approved and have received good feedback here. Others may of course arrange for items to be sent to the Naim factory in the UK for service.

1 Like

The latter is what I am trying to avoid post Brexit.

2 Likes