Sellers regrets ..?

Well, your rationalisation for acquiring another 72 is good as far as it goes, but you know that you’re not going to part with the big amps!

I have no regrets as each time I’ve sold or traded something I’ve improved the overall SQ of my gear.

2 Likes

Sold my CD5x and flatcap 2x, then wanted to set up a second system in the spare room, I used it as an excuse to buy a used DVD5, which pretty much cost me what I got for the CD player and ps but is surprisingly good for red book discs if a little clunky to operate. The drawer does tend to stick rather if not used for a while.

Not Naim, but I blew a driver in my Linn Saras and sold them cheaply as a handyman’s special. Apparently something jostled into place during shipping, because the buyer was very, very happy with them as received. Oh well–they were ugly, and I wound up with bargain-priced NBLs.

1 Like

That’s landing on your feet.

A Rogers cadet2 control and power amp
Sold to part fund a lens purchase when I was starting as a photographer. Still £100 in 1983 was a good sum I suppose…

Did the same sold CD5XS to buy a motor bike. Luckily managed to buy it back for less then I sold it.

1 Like

@SteveC always thought the CD5XS was one of those components that performed well above its price point, a budget CDS3.

2 Likes

Selling my CB NAP250 some years ago. The money came in handy at the time but I always regretted going from that to, eventually, a Linn Majik integrated, which was nice, but too nice.

However, if I hadn’t sold the 250 I wouldn’t perhaps have a 252/300 today…so, it all panned out in the end.

I part exchanged a mint CDX2 i bought from new in 2012, for a used CD555 head. The latter was later exchanged for a newer one. In retrospective i’d been better to keep the CDX2, since over the last few years i bought other two of these but not so perfect like mine.
I also sold a new HC DR when i upgraded to 552DR and more recently i bought other two of this for my secondary systems.

wondering if an olive Nait 2 has horsepower enough for low level listening to my German marching band CDs on my Spendor A7?

I doubt it. My Nait 2 CB can get a sound out of my A5’s that is acceptable but it really doesn’t have a firm grip. I have found the minimum required to be a nac 62/nap140 combo.

the cost of my CDS3/XPS gives me pause [serviced 2018, DR added in 2019]

is a 140 the same as the XS2 which Naim rates at 70 watts/ch? A7 is rated at Spendor as 88 dB, for what its worth.

That is a good question. I have a Nait xs2 with hicap DR in the bedroom on the Kans, but haven’t tried it on the A5’s. The A5’s I find to be an excellent speaker but they do need driving with something a little better than their specs suggest. I would expect the Xs2 to be adequate though.

the problem with Linn speakers is they refuse to wake up unless served with gobs of power in small tastefully furnished rooms.

I sold the NaitXS and NACA5, and soon thereafter bought a SuperNait3 and NACA5.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.