Send Her Back?

Aren, I think David was refering to the UK Police who were planning to interview the Lady in question, in the USA under caution.

Yes, sorry, I didn’t mean to reply directly to David.

It doesn’t matter. It’s kind of like who one might have been looking at as we chatted together…

Should the driver ever elect to visit another nation with an extradition agreement in place with the UK, can she be arrested at the point of entry?

The death of the Brit was another casuality of war, this time the inteliigence war.
If a US war plane crashes in the UK killing some Brits and the pilot ejects to safety, is the pilot hauled into court on a murder charge? This case is very little different.

The Dunn family should go for a huge financial compensation plus lifetime visa to the US and remember their son.

1 Like

The young chap died because there was an incompetent driver at the wheel.

I concur - if you are aware there has been an accident you must stop and assess for damage/injury.

I got a new car in 2006 and on my first journey a dog ran out onto the road on a country lane, I braked but the dog collided with the bumper and ran off.

I stopped and found the sheepish owners across the road - the dog bounded back, seemed ok but I advised them to use an emergency veterinary service and gave the name of a highly respected local one, I have no idea what happened to the dog.

I went to the local police station and advised them of the accident - the response was ‘why did you bother, it was only a dog?’ which is bizarre as we are obliged to report accidents involving certain animals.

‘Did you get their address?’ asked the desk officer, I told them I hadn’t (they didn’t give any details) as I was simply concerned about the dog and also documenting the accident. ‘Shame that, we’d have tried to prosecute them for not having the dog under control’, he replied - at the time I was a bit shocked by the ‘figures’ response when my primary concern was for the dog, and ha dthe owners not appeared I’d have taken it to the vets myself. In hindisght however, I was possibly fortunate as I could have skidded and crashed, but there was no harm to me or the car, and what purpose would would have been served by prosecuting the dog owners for a freak accident?

I’ve had that sense too, and I kicked myself for thinking it - they have every right to look at all legal avenues open to them - they’ve lost a child, and whether or not ‘compo’ as well as justice is their goal is irrelevant.

I can imagine this might turn out to be a very important case in terms of case law in relation to diplomatic immunity.

It looks very much like a charge of causing" Death By Careless Driving" defined by the sentencing council as

This is the body that sets the tariff , everything else is irrelevant

Sad thing is that people rant and rave at judges but these are the people that set and define the law

1 Like

As I understand it, she didn’t actually have diplomatic immunity. Her husband wasn’t a diplomat. He was an intelligence official and she worked on the base, but not as a diplomat. Also as they lived on the base, when she was driving outside the base, the journey wasn’t either on duty or driving from work to home and so even if she did have diplomatic immunity, it wouldn’t have covered the journey when she had the accident.

It’s all very unfortunate, both for her and for the young man she accidentally killed.

But it’s nothing to do with diplomatic immunity.
Best

David

1 Like

I believe the husband had the right of diplomatic immunity.

According to this article, “Sources close to the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and the prime minister’s office however, told Insider that Jonathan Sacoolas had the right to diplomatic immunity.”

But this does not excuse the family’s decision to bail the country and not meet their moral obligation to deal with the situation.

2 Likes

Mike-B

1d

> Has anybody seen an update ?

The local press is still referring to this in the future tense, i.e. they have not gone to US or have gone & are not making it public.
The police have said “A file of evidence has been handed to the Crown Prosecution Service but…that file is incomplete - you can’t complete the file until you have an account from the suspect.”

It does seem the family & the police are in dispute as the family said “… lost all faith and confidence in both the police and the Foreign Office”. & are referred the police to the Independent Office for Police Conduct.
Police have urged the Dunn family’s spokesman Radd Seiger “to exercise constraint in his commentary because it is not helpful”.

I can understand the families desire to get this sorted, but it seems there are too many separate lines

The BBC website reports this morning that the Police have completed their interview and sent details to the CPS.

1 Like

Eight years ago or so (in November), I was travelling to work in the morning in the pitch black on a country road and hit a deer. I saw a deer in my headlights jumping over a fence and running across the road in front of me. I slammed on my brakes just as a second deer jumped over the fence and hit the front of my car pretty hard. I stopped and checked that the deer wasn’t in the road and a danger to other cars but it was nowhere to be seen. I immediately reported the incident to both the RSPCA and the Police, but was told that since it wasn’t a domestic animal there was nothing they could do.

A bit of a scare and quite a bit of damage to my car, but I was astonished to learn just how many similar accidents there are each year.

Incidentally, a former colleague of mine once hit and killed a bull that had escaped and wandered onto the road with his motorbike. His bike was a write-off, he broke his collar bone, but was still taken to court by the farmer who wanted compensation for the death of his bull.

Probably be ultimately ruled as death by misadventure. Not the first nor the last.

My, that is really bad! What was the outcome of the court case in the end?

Crumbs Hmack, sounds as though you were lucky to come away unscathed from that rogue deer.

Must have been quite some collision if the motorbike killed the bull.

Thanks for clarifying - I think I’d read something similar but had forgotten the detail!

I believe he (or his insurance company) ended up having to pay some compensation. It was some 25/30 years ago, but it seemed like a very strange legal decision to me. I would have thought that it was the responsibility of the farmer to ensure that his bull couldn’t find its way onto a public highway.

Luckily, I have never (touch wood) had an accident on my own motorbike.

What the hell was a bull doing with a motorbike? Asking for trouble if you ask me.

6 Likes

glad you spotted this collection of words