Serviced 180 v unserviced 250

Certainly another interesting aspect. Was the PS for a source or an amp? I’m wondering if faster transients could trigger a resonance at a certain base frequency that otherwise wouldn’t

Such diagrams are rarely 100% accurate and I struggle why one would be significant. If there is a potential standing wave in a room then w amps with the same theoretical flat response will often produce entirely different outcomes.

Doublets not renowned for highlighting bass but Joe A’s underlying design philosophy of faithfully reproducing what the amp sends suggests that they would respond well to a 250. Reading this thread is becoming a bit like listening to the scientists in SAGE - there are at least two sensible routes to take! They key message seems to be decide where I want to be in the medium term and work out how to get there - don’t just take the next knee-jerk step. Ironically, exactly what I’ve been advising my clients to do for years!

It was for a pre-amp, a NAC82. I’ve never found a Naim PSU not to give more bass and impact in an entirely positive way.

Accurate enough compared to the frequency response of the speakers. I believe frequency response diagrams would be significant because a room mode would not care how accurately reproduced a signal at a given frequency is, but just if there is one and how much energy it transfers.

This might well be the case, and my question simply was if anyone has a physical explanation. I don’t think a Naim amp really has a dip in frequency response around the lower mids and actually I’d think Naim engineers would be unhappy about the accusation. Certainly the 300, whose diagram I recently looked at, does not have one. Nevertheless, it may well be true that “lower mids are missing from the bass to some extent on the 180” in practical situations, maybe in certain rooms or whatever, but not because Naim engineers can’t produce a most basic requirement.

Thanks. And to be clear, again, I am not at all doubting that a PS gives more impact and other things to bass. Look at my system in the profile :slight_smile: But if those positive things affect how pressure modes in a room build up, the question “how and why” should be allowed on the forum of a company that values science and engineering in the way Naim does. I think.

Edit: And it’s not that some amps or an amp without PS couldn’t reproduce low bass frequencies. They all can. So what else? As mentioned, speculating, faster transients might transmit more energy. Or something else. Just looking for an explanation that makes sense, is all.

The question is allowed on the forum unless I’m mistaken. Naim are not obliged to answer but Steve Sells may be able to help.

I don’t know how adding a PSU to a pre-amp gives a bigger sound but it doesn’t matter to listening to music.

I, and probably most of the MotoGP grid, can’t explain why you have to counter-steer on a motorbike to go around corners. It’s doesn’t matter though :smiley:

I didn’t mean asking Naim, it was directed at the two people that where all over me

And, again, it was never about subjectively bigger sound, but about the assertion that one amp would not trigger room resonances when another one does

Oh I see. :smiley:

My Supercap definitely triggered resonances to an unacceptable level so some speaker manoeuvring was needed. This wasn’t subjective and a revert to Hicap was considered.

There was clearly some resonances there before but not enough energy at that frequency to aggravate.

Very interesting. I can imagine that a more accurate reproduction of the source information at a given frequency might make an existing resonance (which always is a function of the room) more noticable.

There is no question that a smaller speaker that does not go low enough will not trigger room modes that a larger speaker does trigger, simply because the smaller speaker does not provide the energy at all. As mentioned, the same explanation does not work too well for amps or sources in my opinion, but surely it is conceivable that better response, transients, etc. might put more pressure into the room.

(Conversely, tighter control by better sources and amps may also have the opposite effect as several forum members reported elsewhere, e.g. someone recently in the Townshend thread. I also experienced this in my room when the 300 came in and replaced a lesser amp)

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.