Servicing Isobarik DMS X/O & possibly drivers

I’m getting my 32-5/250/HiCap/CDI/NATO1 serviced in Salisbury at the moment but on trying my Isobarik DMS from mid 80s with an A60 it sounds like the Briks need some work/servicing etc. I’ve found some details on replacing the Caps in the X/Overs and possibly the drivers but no one seems to say how to actually physically get to the X/overs. Do you just take the bottoms off? I haven’t lifted them up to take a look as they are so heavy! Any hints very gratefully received :slight_smile: Thanks.

Check out the FAQ section of the MyBriks website. There’s some interesting info on the Isobarik there that you may find useful. IIRC you are correct in guessing that you can access the crossover by removing the bottom panel. Good luck.

1 Like

There’s also been a big Isobarik refurbishing thread in the pink place which you may find useful

2 Likes

Falcon Acoustics do components, including brand new drivers, having started their own manufacture of some of the original KEF drivers themselves, e.g. the B139, to the original design and characteristics, though IIRC they’ve managed to increase power handling capacity. In my experience they are also a mine of information, and may be able to answer practical questions.

1 Like

I don’t know where you live but when I had a problem with my DMS Isobariks about 5 years ago. I got in touch with John Chinnock he worked in Croydon for 33 years at Spalding’s.
He used to carry out all the dealer work on Linn / Naim equipment, he knows Isobariks inside out. When I had a problem with one of my speakers where the top drivers failed. He traced the fault to a dry joint on the X over.
Picked up my speakers, repaired, delivered and installed the speakers.
He’s based in Oxted near Caterham south side of the M25, pm me if you want his contact details he also serviced and repaired my Nakamichi 581 cassette deck, really nice guy to deal with.

Regards,

Martin

1 Like

Follow up to get to the X overs you need to remove the front B139 and you have 2 of them in the chamber before the 2nd B 139.

Regards,

Martin

1 Like

Thanks - goodness me once I registered on Pink Media I’ve found a mine of useful information! Cheers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unfortunately I’m a long way North (Aberdeenshire) but with the help on here & other forums I think I can do it myself & with help from friends. Thanks for the tips though.

I’ll investigate at the weekend - it looks like the Crossovers maybe accessible through the bottom from various photos I found. If not then I’ll try removing the front B139. I wonder how difficult they are to remove. I suppose the only way to find out is by trying :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.