Servicing timeline 555PS(DR) - a revisit

My apologies. I have a Swiss Franc Naim price list from Jan 2020. UK dealers will give the UK service price.
My last enquiry for Classic series up to the 250-2 was 330.00 per item. CB was 270.00 per item.

Independents are a little less.

There is the pre 2019 list price info

they need to learn the meaning of sacrifice

seriously, though, kids these days don’t know how lucky they are

when I was a lad, we had to clean out the entire lake before breakfast…

1 Like

Thanks Bruss - that’s a useful guideline.

I did stumble across that Swiss list earlier, but I didn’t mention it because it made me feel sorry for Thomas and other Swiss owners. :smiley:

Could you justify a diet on health grounds (high BMI)? :joy: :rofl:

1 Like

Hi Dirk
May I ask roughly how much does a NAPS 555 (non-DR) sell for these days?
Thanks
Jim

When I was looking around a year ago I didn’t see any under £3k which I think is too expensive given that a DR upgrade including service is another £3k.

A gently used DR model can be found between £4k and £5K if you are patient.

1 Like

As above they seem to hold a decent value even non DR and unserviced. The used value of mine plus the cost of DR and service would not be a million miles away from the price of a brand new unit.
Exactly the same scenario with my HiCap - must be worth around £500 on the used market, a DR upgrade and service is £999, but a brand new one is £1499…

Paid £2500 for my 555ps early this year via the bay from a dealer.

Then had it serviced at my leisure for peace of mind but it was founding great before.

It’s just a matter of waiting for what you want at the price you want.

Good price that, I think. About what I paid for mt xpsdr. My dealer ( who I didn’t by the xps from) suggested not to buy a 555ps if I were to get it DR’d in the future. Just wait and buy a 555dr was his advice.
But, it was too much of a price jump from xpsdr money to 555dr money. And hence the xpsdr. But I do wonder if a regular 555 may have been a better choice over the xpsdr.

I reckon a XPSDR was the best choice👍

Good thing about an old 555 for me was it was cheap to get serviced (turns out it didn’t need it) and if I feel the need to upgrade to DR at a later date it spreads the cost so it’s not a huge hit in one go for us mortals

Read somewhere here someone stated naim thought a XPSDR performs slightly better than a non DR 555.

Trouble is a 555ps leads to a …:see_no_evil:

The clever bit must be the dr bit. Yes bean can sized capacitors will help but I would expect a xpsdr to sound better than a 555.
I can’t see quite why Naim charge what they do for the dr bit as an upgrade. Apart from the fact they can.

It would be interesting to know where you read this.

Whenever I’ve done the comparison, a non-DR 555PS always sounds much better than an XPS-DR

1 Like

https://community.naimaudio.com/t/xps2-or-555ps

Post 10 or thereabouts

It was me, I spoke to Naim and they actually went away and came back to me seeking further advice from within.
They stated that the DR is a huge improvement on everything and that yes an XPSdr is superior to a non DR 555ps.

:+1:t2:

And cheaper.

This was also my experience on my (then) 272.

G

I don’t know about the 555, but DR-ing an XPS means that not much more than the case remains of the old one.

Edit: And you and I had this discussion before, and I still think that they are not exactly swimming in money (financial statements are available online) and need to recoup the investment into their technologies, the options being (a) make the units with the new tech more expensive or (b) charge more than the parts and labor for older units.
So yes, also because they can if you want to put it that way

thats not hard, as there’s not much inside an XPS compared with a 555! :rofl:

I know, but still you get basically a new XPS DR except the case for 1500 euro or so, I am not sure what is supposed to be too expensive about this. (Except for the fact that maybe selling the old one and buying brand new may be a better choice for the consumer and, probably not incidentally, for Naim too)

Plus, according to above posts the XPS DR outperforms a non-DR 555 despite it being full to the brim

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.