“Seven Worlds, One Planet” on BBC UHD

It was stoneloach, which are crepuscular by nature and I was trying to find out how emerging optimal foraging theory applied to non visual predators. It was all done under infra red in a cold and dark room.

It was such a small field that I joined the Audit Commission and trained as a CIPFA accountant. Some very interesting behaviour in local government!

1 Like

Fascinating. Yes, the feeding behaviour of any part of government must be quite an education. My brother in law studied feeding behaviour in flatfish - we were both at the Scottish Marine Biological Association in Oban for a while. He ate all his subjects.

2 Likes

Last evenings program on Asia lived up to expectations. UHD was a visual delight & this time I had sound via Naim & found the sound is UHD as well.

Amazing scenes of animals I did not associate with Asia, but northeast Russia is Asia. It showed huge herds of Walrus - & I mean HUGE, as far as you can see tens of thousands of them - forced to pup on a beach because there are no ice floe’s. Plus some horrific sequences of them panicking over polar bear & falling off high cliffs.
60% of the human population live in Asia & that coupled to the time/year lapse photo sequences of the devastation of the rain forest for, city expansion, timber & palm oil was seriously alarming. … all very thought provoking.

1 Like

The part that featured the Spider tailed Viper was incredible. Did anybody spot it before it revealed itself?

1 Like

It was amazing. And no, I didn’t spot it at all before it moved. I thought that bird that almost got caught, then went in for a second go was incredibly unwise.

1 Like

That was a seriously depressing programme.

1 Like

Watched the first episode via UHD iplayer. Quality very good, but doesn’t match a 4K disc. Amazing programme and depressing. This stuff should be standard school education, if it isn’t already.

As I said in my post … very thought provoking … David said it was a seriously depressing program, Count.d said it should standard school education.
It seems like its hitting the mark, us humans are causing irreparable damage to our home & its close to the point of no return.
I expect, I hope, the remaining programs are equally or more thought provoking.
Its wake up time, trump, Xi Jinping, Putin & all the others, are you watching this. ,

1 Like

Only watched the first ep so far and it was stunning and hits hard in the right places, like only BBC natural history can. We need to wake up to what we are doing and David is the face to do this. The Netflix series he just did tried to do the same, and even covers some of what this programme does but this goes further, is better written and has amazing editorial to tell a story. This is one of the reasons why the BBC has to stay properly funded, it’s a magical and creative institution that is the rival of the world it also needs preserving like the wonderful creatures it shows us.

4 Likes

The thing that made me really sit up and think about it came at the end, after several appalling segments. Attenborough was talking about seeing orangutans in the wild in the 1950s and said that he would never have dreamt then that their species, which had lived in those forests for millions of years, would become endangered in his life time.

I wondered about the “millions of years”, so I checked. Wikipedia actually puts it as 14 million years and says some estimates put it at 20 million. Our lifetime is barely a moment in that timescale and all that damage has happened while older forum members have been alive…

3 Likes

I was on the edge of my seat at this point. TV at it’s best. If you haven’t seen the first episode, I won’t spoil it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.