Sexy hifi

For some time now I’ve struggled to comprehend the use of the adjective ‘sexy’ as applied across this firum to hifi equipment, cars, coffee machines, phones, computers etc…

I recently came across this old article which made me smile!

I’m not seeking to denigrate any individual’s taste, and I can understand how some product design can be deemed attractive (although much easier for it to fall in to the ‘ugly as sin’ category!). I simply find it difficult to understand how a Fraim, or a turntable, can ever be thought of as ‘sexy’!

5 Likes

I agree it is an inappropriate term.

There was a thriller on Talking Pictures, where the policeman asked a witness if she could describe the car at the scene. She said “yes, of course, I can. It was a really nice car”.

3 Likes

Does anyone call hifi ‘sexy’?

I don’t recall coming across it in this context - though plenty of others where I share the complete lack of comprehension as to “sexiness”.

But maybe something I recall Jeremy Clarkson saying in a Top Gear programme many years ago about some supercar or other, along the lines of: “it can snap knicker elastic at 50 yards”!

I remember a HiFi magazine years ago (HiFi For Pleasure?) That used to have sexy looking ladies posing with the latest must have piece of kit
:joy:

1 Like

Surely they were their to attract attention because the hifi stuff wasn’t sexy!

1 Like

4 Likes

2 Likes

:grimacing:

2 Likes

Ahah,we now see where Naim got the Muso sales approach from “complete sound centre, Bentley - Princess Yachts - home”.

1 Like

Just have a read back through the System Pictures thread - examples galore!!

1 Like

I have always thought the use of the word sexy in relation to non-humans as utterly inappropriate. I remember on a job interview the person interviewing me described some corporate finance being done as being sexy. I nearly walked out there and then …

2 Likes

She just made me Klimax!
Oh sorry wrong brand

:joy:

2 Likes

And Tony Blairs advisors were accused of “sexing up” the intelligence used as basis for going to war. Nothing sexy about bombing and killing people in my book

2 Likes

2 Likes

News
Milty to launch new improved MK4 Zerostat

unbelievable the amount of sexist imagery out there relating to HiFi

JPG

Outrageous!

:rofl:

1 Like

Let’s not get carried away here folks…

4 Likes

Readers Wives…

2a87bf9c3192edfb72906ecb471d8dbf--sexy-art-photography-photography-ideas

:grinning:

4 Likes

By all means please debate the use of the word “sexy” to describe objects such as hifi kit, but please could we not have lots of dodgy suggestive pictures posted here. Thanks.

5 Likes

Sexy (adj): Generally attractive or interesting:

Fits the bill :sunglasses:

2 Likes