Shahinian Arc 2 Advice

I have to say my Arc2 are now sounding a whole lot better. With a 250.2 they have plenty of kick. They still sound directional and the quality of the bass has some of the compromised sound that comes from small transmission line speakers vs. a larger cabinet that resonates… unlikely that’s something an amp can fix but I suspect better room/placement could improve them. Down the road I may get the bug and demo an even bigger power amp, but what I’m hearing now is quite enjoyable.

1 Like

Hi, could be. I’m sure sure that room, ears, music choice and volume play a huge part. I totally respect a previous poster on here who is using a 500 with Diapasons. Personally, I couldn’t live with it (I tried with Obs!), but different stokes for different folks………

1 Like

Great, glad you are happy!

Well the drivers do face forwards even if at an angle. It’s only with the Obs and up that things get a bit different… but they’re still great speakers. They boogie like hell and are great with jazz, though the Obs are a very different cup of tea for classical….

I’ve just re read your post. Directional and lacking in bass are two of the last statements I would use to describe Arcs! Something wrong somewhere……

1 Like

Regarding the bass, there is plenty now… my statement was more qualitative based on hearing a few different loudspeakers on the same system/room. Re: the directionality, that’s just been my experience thus far. I will need to play a bit more; as others have suggested there are likely some room elements at play.

When I tried a pair of arcs I was amazed by their musicality and the fact they worked wherever you put them. Ultimately though, the bass was too much for my room.
If my system ever ends up in another, bigger, room they’ll be first on my list to demo.

I hope you have permanent access rights to the rest of the world across his land.

It’s wild considering I started this thread with the opposite problem, but now that I have the system sorted… I can say I understand why everyone was surprised I wasn’t getting bass from the Arcs. I now get it kind of boomy snd will be soon be looking to reign it in! Probably should swap a DR amp in there to keep it tight.

1 Like

Try pulling them in from walls and especially corners. Also what speaker cables are you using?

Nothing special at present - I have 2.5mm OFC cables in-wall which covers most of the run. Will probably work up something like chord clearway to connect amp to wall socket, and wall socket to speakers, but doubt that will do much.

Am really starting to enjoy the whole system again though.

1 Like

Or maybe Naim NACA5 or Mogami 2972 which works fine with Naim amps and was recommended by the Shahinian importer. It gives a more textured and nuanced sound than NACA5 with better decay, but a slightly less tight rhythmic presentation.

Glad it’s all starting to come together for you now.

1 Like

Certainly could. The majority of the run is still going to be the in-wall cabling. Actually would hope that adding 1/2 metre of cable on each end wouldn’t have much effect but one never knows!

Hi, see my earlier comment on how the bass/passive arrangement works. ATB.

Interesting when I look at the Mogami it shows as a 4-conductor cable. I wonder if Pear recommends to twin the conductors in this cable… if so, I’ve got some Tributaries bi-wire cables floating around that I may try.

The Mogami is designed to be used this way, but I’d be careful of emulating it with other cables without knowing the precise inductance and capacitance figures of the cables. This is very important with Naim amps: plenty of posts on the matter on this forum.

1 Like

Yeah that would have been my next natural question although I believe this was more of a concern for vintage.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.