Shahinian Obs2

Now i have got the itch again ,i would like to hear from fellow members that are au fait with Obs2 , how to they compare to Arcs in their presentation and bass response

I found the bass a little tighter, more detailed and controlled, but the mid and top are in another world in all three respects, including instrumental/vocal texture, while also creating a much more palpable 3D presence.

1 Like

Hi @spratt ,
I’ve run only Shahinian’s since 1989, starting with Arcs, then Hawks and now Ob 2’s. They all have the same signature, but each upgrade brings more scale, colour, 3D imaging, drama and just a more convincing recreation of a musical event.
Arcs are wonderful and certainly give the Shahinian experience, but heard back to back against Obelisks, they are smaller and thinner sounding. If you are in a position to consider Obs then I’d say go for it. Try to hear them in your room first though, just to check they work for you in your space.
Good luck,
Kevin

1 Like

Thanks for the info and replies so far , my room may be the concern as its approx 21ft long and only 10ft wide . The Arcs sit approx 6in from the wall and around 6ft apart . I know the Obs are of similar size but have more depth , so hopefully Obs 6in from the wall would be fine as well. The Arcs sound very good in my room with a wide soundstage its just occasionally i would like a deeper bass , just not sure that going to Obs will achieve this for me . The only other speaker that sounds appealing would be the Kudos titan 606 , but even then they may be too big for my room (previously had isobariks and did not work in the room at all because of their size). I personally feel although if i did move away from Shahinians i would miss their presentation

I’ve always found it important to get Shahinian’s as far away from corners as is possible. Vasken Shahinian will tell you the same. It’s really important. I’m guessing that it’s not domestically acceptable to listen across the room? My guess is that even the Arcs would sound better that way. Shahinian’s don’t seem to mind being listened to in the near field provided they have room to breathe sideways.

1 Like

My room is only very slightly larger than yours at 24x11 (plus not particularly high ceilings) and Obelisks worked very well in them, as do my Diapasons, but in both cases playing across the width not down the length. In my experience this always sounds better. And don’t forget that you can always wheel the Obelisks further away from the walls for serious listening…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.