Shattered double glazed window

At the origin point of the failure can you see what appears to be a ‘butterfly’ or figure of eight as below? If so the failure is probably caused by a nickel sulphide inclusion which can expand spontaneously and crack the glass. If not, it sounds like an glass edge defect.

So, to what kinds of toys, including other things in the house, does the child have access…? The inner pane only, in a child’s bedroom, does suggest a possible mishap, with the child too terrified of consequences to admit to doing.

Please note, this is offered as a genuine thought, and not in any way intended to reflect in any way on your child, or your parenting etc, just aware from my own experiences both as a child and as a parent that all sorts of things can happen, whether entirely accidental or simply out of lack of awareness of possible effect.

1 Like

Thanks.

I’ll check at some point in coming days - I’ve covered it over for now in case it collapses.

That went through my mind, I think it’s unlikely though I did ask.

Absolutely - as a lad when we had a big snowfall and dad’s glasshouse roof was covered in snow, I decided it would be a good wheeze for a friend to a lob a snowball onto the roof causing an ensuing avalanche to cover me, stood by the glasshouse close to the roof. The plan was for another friend to film it (super 8 film). Not sure what I did but somehow managed to smash several panes with my foot as the snow fell - lucky I was wearing ‘wellies’ I suspect. When we processed the film the spontaneous expletives from me were a bit of a surprise to the family.

I did the lawnmower/stone thing to a window in the kitchen door. My Insurance company sent a glazier out that day who put a film over it to stabilise the glass while they made up a new unit. There was no subsequent loading of my premium.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.