Short but urgent query on Naim 135s

My understanding is that there is no audible difference between a real DR and an updated one.

If 135s keep on going up and 300DRs don’t…

2 Likes

That’s what I hoped.

Supply and demand suggests it will only go one way.

1 Like

You won’t regret it - but then as a 300DR owner you’d expect me to say this! :grinning:

1 Like

I think your system now deserves a dose of Ekute by Pino Palladio and Blake Mills.

1 Like

And maybe a 252? :wink:

That’s very unlikely.

IMHO, the 52 is an absolute classic. I was very uninspired by the 282 (heard on many occasions and duller than an 82), and the 252 is as much presentationally different as better than a 52 in musical terms.

I will accept that a 552 really is so much better on detail and quietness and neutrality and dynamics that I can’t claim a 52 is better overall - but look at the cost!

Until the time comes when I need that new cartridge, I suspect that the only upgrades/ tweaks that I have not done but will consider are: -

A. How can I change the brown front fascia on my ‘olive’ Supercap for one that really is olive? No SQ change, but it would then match 52, CDS2 and CDPS.

B. The B&Ws are of course on spikes (resting on £1 coins) though they came with rubbery feet too. If there is any audible difference, which is best and why?

C. If there is a marked difference between rubbery feet and spikes under 40kg speakers. is it worth trying any other speaker support options?

2 Likes

With regard to “A” above. You can’t change it. Trying to remove it to paint it (if you could match the color you want) would likely result in breaking it, and there are no replacements.

Probably best to find one of the color you want, buy it and sell your current one. Or find someone who wants to swap colors the other way round and do a deal.

Thanks, but who wants to swap to the brown ones? I doubt anyone has a brown ‘olive’ system. if I am wrong, or someone would accept some cash to swap their actua;ly-olive SC for my brown one, do tell!

More likely will be waiting until the CDS2 dies and then getting s/h SCDR (selling my SC) and a s/ Core.

Of course I could go 552 now and solve the problem. There’s one on eBay for a mere £9K…

2 Likes

Re C Isoacoustic Gaia II feet are worth a try. There are several threads about them and they work a treat for a number of us.

Townshend Podiums are even more effective but at a price and are more visually imposing.

Best regards, BF

What speakers? What sort of floor?

2 Likes

Hi Nick, best to read the threads, as multiple speakers and every floor type that I can think of are mentioned.

I went from a 52 to a 552 - I would never have contemplated the 252 as I never saw any value in that over a 52

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll start searching.

2 Likes

I do. 52, sc, 135’s all in beautifully matching original brown. CDS2 and XPS in green but the CDP will die one day, the XPS will go with it and I’ll be left with a matching amp system.

1 Like

If only you needed a brown SC and had an olive one…

Thanks

2 Likes

That’s a rose-coloured way of looking forward to a fairly dire situation. (My CDS II isn’t happy at the moment, but I’m hoping that some clever chap(ess) in Salisbury can resuscitate the beast.)

Incorrect Graeme

You can change the facia

My naim dealer here in Sydney has the official naim replacement olive facia’s , I was amazed when he pulled out a box of them, he’s had them for years

He also replaced the facia on my 250 CB

Yes it was a tough process and the original breaks off in pieces but it looks wonderful now

3 Likes

I think that that’s what is called a result.

If your dealer happens to have an unopened Flash RC in its original box, do please let me know.

Anyway, well done!

I’ve spoken to Naim service dept, and Class A here in the UK and both say there is no supply left, so can’t be changed. If however, your man in Sydney has old stock, then lucky you. Perhaps he can send one to @NickofWimbledon.

1 Like

I think the problem was lack of supply rather than ability.

Of course saying it was brown or olive really understates the palette of colours available.

2 Likes