Should amps be swapped on active systems?

That’s an interesting thought I’d not considered - a better response to shorter and shorter transients rather than ‘power’ per se.

No.

1 Like

No it doesn’t place more demand on the amp than trying to control a much heavier cone. And quite apart from the sheer power requirement I mentioned in a previous post, which was to do with moving the greater amount of air necessary for the same sound level as higher frequencies, there is also control of the cone, which has much higher inertia resisting start and stop of it moving.

:+1:

No idea never tried it out!

1 Like

Curiously enough, I did try the two configurations, several years ago, pairing a Meridian 103D (40 Wpc IIRC) and a NAP250 (80? Wpc).

I preferred it when the “more powerful” (better?) 250 was on the tweeters.

1 Like

Not the same character of amp, so tge power is probably a red herring…

True, but I found it interesting that at system level the clearly “better” amp (250) would be doing the least amount of work. In any event, it wasn’t too long before I found another 250.

Now if someone would like to donate me a 140, I’d be delighted to repeat the experiment. :grin:

IIRC the old Meridian M2 had 70W on the mid/bass and 35W on the tweeter.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.