Show us the systems from your yoof!

Well, that’s the way of the world, unfortunately. It is possible to engineer a problem away, only to create a new one. The obvious example (to an ex-aircraft engineer like me), is the B737 Max, where you patch up one problem only to create another.

I still miss my DCC recorder as well, but like LT turntables, they are hard to find and even harder to repair if they go wrong.

2 Likes

Strange, mine did neither - though power supply transformer well away from the amp components (first incarnation the furthest corner of TT plinth and subsequently when I changed TT I used a larger transformer but in a separate box on the floor so the amp could be slim. But mine suffered from pops whenever the fridge motor cut in/out.

He had a pair of horn loudspeakers and found them to “in your face” so turned them round. You would think a reviewer would understand having a demo first!

2 Likes

He was a significant part of my ceasing to bother reading hifi magazines, having been an avid reader for many years up till then. Not so much he personally, as anyone can talk rubbish, but the fact that the hifi magazines printed the idiocy he and some others peddled, destroying all credence in the the hifi press.

I think they may have been Impulse H1 speakers. IIRC he was quite a fan of the SD acoustics speakers too and then went onto the Arcam 2 speakers - also facing the wrong way. Funny hobby.

It was the Impulse H1’s I remember. He is quite good at reviewing Classical music.

1 Like

Removing the interior padding … I put it back after a couple of days, but alas the magic had gone.

My skills and putting things together are limited to say the least so you probably did a better job the me. I don’t recall the fridge interfering with it, The Cambridge P60 was a big step up. CA made some fabulous kit in those days including the wonderful R50 speakers: always wanted a pair, but never really had the space for them.

Stan Curtis designed the electronics if my memory serves me well.

4 Likes

Impulse H1s driven by Pioneer A400 - we still have an A400 and it works as well as ever, but never sounded as good as Cambridge P60.

1 Like

I enjoyed my HB2s, too. I’ve still got them in the loft somewhere. Used to work really well with my A&R A60 amp.

A&R A60 was another classic. There have been some great products over the years.

1 Like

I had a Cambridge amp back in these days as well - the P50/II. I almost bought the R50s to go along with it but marginally preferred the Celestion Ditto 66s. The were great speakers and still in use by my brother until very recently.

I’m afraid I more or less destroyed my P50 in the late 70’s trying to use it as a practice guitar amp with my Strat. Not a good idea, and my guitar playing hasn’t improved much since then either.

2 Likes

My first record deck.

ELP’s Tarkus sounded great!

4 Likes

My first ever stereo a Fidelity Stereo Turntable, my parents bought it me for my eighteenth birthday - though I think mine was white.
This did me for around five or six years then I bought my first “serious” hifi of a Technics Receiver, a Technics DD turntable, an Hitachi Tape Deck oh and some Sony Speakers .
The road to perdition and financial ruin started here :wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:

3 Likes

This was my first system back in 1984 - UNIVERSUM VTCF1339RC. TT, cassette tape, tuner - all in one. Awful sound but had a remote :blush:

3 Likes

And Jimmy suggested solid core mains cable as speaker cable. He did have some whacky ideas.

1 Like

And this is my current vintage system I wish to had in my youth - Pioneer. There are some more Pioneers which are put away :blush:

13 Likes

Oh how when we got on the hifi ladder properly we thought receivers were so uncool, and how you could never match an amp with a tuner - and Naim would never do that, never in a million years…

And now it’s a £250 extra on the Nova …

1 Like

Phwoar…!

1 Like

Exactly!