Show us your ATCs

I had cherry finish, when I had 40 passives. If the 50 has the same properties in a cherry finish, then they will fade if subjected to small periods of sunlight.

That’s exactly what I thought but the veneer on the Classic range is a higher quality apparently. I’d written Cherry off tbh until I saw the ones at the Dealer which are kept in a dark basement …
Walnut looks good and probably the best option.

I much prefer the appearance of the tower series, and room size notwithstanding, I could not countenance spending practically double on the SCM50aslt.

I believe I have stated elsewhere that the 40’s are great value for money. The 100’s and 150’s look to be real value or money: the 150’s give you a 15" bass driver (Dbl size) and 350wpc…

I quite like the Crown Walnut on the limited edition 150’s .

15 Likes

Mint walnut pair for sale at present, on a well known auction site.

1 Like

Thank you , they look very nice. I’ve put them on my watch list . Maybe priced slightly high IMO but definitely worth a watch .

Have you had a home demonstration of 50 asl speakers?

I ran a pair of ATC 7’s for 10+ months with my system when I moved my stereo system down stairs.

I recently swapped my ProAc D30RS speakers back in but have kept the ATC 7’s.

11 Likes

Yes before I did my renovations about 5 years ago and my room is bigger now . They were great , I always planned on the 40s back then but tried the 50s as well . After going way over budget on the House I stuck with the 40s … which are brilliant as we all know . I’ve always thought I’d end up with 50s though.

1 Like

What type of stands are they SK?

They are GHA speaker stands manufactured by Gig Harbor Audio in Washington State. I picked up a pair from Hawthorne Stereo in Seattle when I bought the pair of ATC 7’s. They are fantastic stands…

3 Likes

Passive Scm40 in walnut (rare) :

Had the chance to home demo the Scm50 active in oak for 4 weeks this summer, unfortunately a bit too big visually and too much bass for my room (20m2) :

Now wondering if I order the Scm40A in white to avoid the color change due to the sunlight.

14 Likes

my old pair of speakers, lovely things, regret selling regularly

Love my active 50s with their walnut veneer.

31 Likes

Looks like Walnut is the way to go !

I loved my ATC 20. Great acoustics.
Photo 2018

14 Likes

Whichever you choose, I am sure you’ll be delighted @Pete.T

1 Like

Is that a yew finish? Lovely

1 Like

May I ask how far off the wall are the speakers placed? How large is the room?

My first IMFs were walnut - lovely veneer. But at the end of the day it is the speaker that counts! Successor IMFs were a rosewood ‘Formica’-like laminate - appearance OK but sound better. current PMC bass units are cherry veneer - nice (as is the sound). ATC midded sats are plain MDF - if finalised they will be oak.

1 Like