Show us your ATCs

Blimey. The 50ASLT. That’s another level indeed. I would love a pair of the 50 classics (non-tower), but I suspect that they’d overload my room…

Me too…

Interesting. I’m hearing this quite a lot. In theory, Dacs with their own preamp straight into actives should sound better. But many people prefer less of a direct route. Interesting…

Hi Ryder
Happy Saturday to you.

Like others, I love the idea of active 40’s, with just two or three boxes. Anyway….

It’s noticed you’ve now added Innous Pulse to the nDAC.
How are you getting on with that?
I’m also interested to hear if you considered alternatives and any thoughts on that?

Lastly, curious to know what you did with ZENmini?
Has it gone sideways into another room / system. So, still there, albeit via network, etc.

All interesting stuff, when it’s a possible route on your own musical journey :wink:

Thanks in advance

KR
R

The pulse is great, instantly better than the zen mini with PS, even from cold. I changed because the zen died on me, it would not recognise any audio outputs. I will send it for repair at some point and use it with my headphones and Hugo TT2.

Currently dipping back into cd replay with an audio lab 6000 connected to the ndac and really enjoying it!

2 Likes

CDX2 with XPS for me. SQ amazing

4 Likes

I can only think it is the lack of noise from the network side of things but there is always a slight glare in the top end that is not there via cd. Maybe I need a better switch but it gets quite tiresome trying to optimise the streaming side of things when cd is just plug and play!

I have English Electric switch8. Highly recommend it

3 Likes

Me too! Still get glare. I was thinking of trialling the Innuos Phoenix net but it is serious money

EE switch is powered by Powergrip filter, it gives a a very good result

1 Like

Hi all and Happy Easter!
Heres a quick pic of my new 222 fronting my ATC 20ASLT’s. Loving the 222!

36 Likes

The 222 into active ATCs is a brilliant combination

2 Likes

Absolutely. And its just so nice to use, especially the multi room mode with my QB in the Kitchen. I can play a Record and listen in the kitchen while doing dinner! :smile:

3 Likes

Mine

The kintsuge repaired pot delivers greater separation

17 Likes

I think the 222 appears to be a bit of a winner.
Upgradeable via the NX300, MM input, but with a line input that could be used with an external MC phono stage, and proper balanced outputs.

I would not be surprised to see active Focals with inbuilt Naim amplification at some stage, I really wouldn’t.

1 Like

Spot on Al and I have been very impressed with the MM stage in the 222. I have resurrected a turntable that was gathering dust and it is very good indeed.

1 Like

Awesome setups! Please tell us more about 222 to active ATC’s. How’s the sound and where do you come from? This is something I’ve been considering to try out also. Back in 2019 when I went active with ATC’s, I tried 272 to SCM19A but I was underwhelmed by this combination. I ended up ordering 40A’s eventually and changed the front end to Linn.

I have an empty shelf just waiting for an NX300 when funds permit…

In the room in question I had a Uniti Star feeding KEF LS50s. I then moved on the KEFs and brought my ATC SCM 19s (passive) into this system but the Star didn’t have the juice so I added the ATC P1 power amp. I was happy with this but then the NSC 222 came out and my son was in need of a system So I gifted the lot to him and ordered the 222 and active 40s

The difference is significant: clarity, timbre, separation, soundstage definition are all “up”. Compared to the previous set up I also notice greater speed, attack, slam. Not sure how to describe it but it’s a combination of attack and pace that I find beguiling. Because this system all came in one I dont know what quality to attribute to what, and, being a systems thinker in my professional life, I know that would be a mistake anyway. I am very happy with the total system and the addition of my Michell turntable, which was sitting idle, has added to my enjoyment.

And my son is very happy too!

4 Likes

The thing is they are not just a “rock” speaker, they, to plagiarise Malcolm Steward once again, "will illuminate any musical style ".

5 Likes