Show us your ATCs

Thanks for the impressions, sounds like a killer combo.

2 Likes

New ATC owner. Have admired from a distance for a while and bit the bullet today.

SCM11 V2 in Satin Black. Still figuring out positioning and best practices.

26 Likes

Exactly what I have, toed in and 180mm from back wall.

2 Likes

I think, as @Hifi-dog alludes to above, ATC advocate a bit if toe-in. Fortunately, you will be able to move your speakers about without doing yourself a mischief :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Would you use your 52 into a pair of actives?

Please say what was wrong with them across the room, and how is was resolved.

Yes.

And the NAC is incomplete without a NAP.

Pairing a NAC with an active speaker seems wrong.

But that’s what the passive versions are for, I suppose.

Beautiful speakers hope you enjoy them

1 Like

Thank you. Appreciate that :metal:

1 Like

I’m considering it - if only to reduce my box count, and perhaps if and when my s600 fail.

1 Like

Hi JimDog. There was nothing wrong with them firing across the room. I simply preferred the sound with them oriented the other way.

A little more detail: my dealer set them up firing across, directly replacing my previous PMC Fact 3s. Good though this was, I felt that on a few tracks the bass was a little too prominent, unrealistically so to my ears, even though the dealer kept praising the bass reproduction. Many years before I’d had some Kudos floor-standers which tended to boom and found this was somewhat mitigated by moving them further away from walls but the room layout meant this could only be achieved with them firing down the room. So with some effort, the ATCs were manhandled into the positions with more free space around them and I heard a significant improvement in SQ. I know the 40s are sealed boxes, but I don’t think this makes them totally immune to positioning effects.

As a final note, I now run a Linn KDS as my source, which offers space optimisation and I have occasionally contemplated trying the 40s firing across the room and using Linn’s SO to compensate, but the thought of moving them again, possibly twice, is enough to put me off.

Roger

3 Likes

Perhaps use a trolley?
Or Herbie’s Big Fat Gliders?

Just for an update, I purchased the scm40 passive and also the 250DR (end of line).
I also added Gaia feet for the speakers and I also use Gaia under all my electronics.
WOW what an improvement on the BW805d3.
The 805 were a damn good stand mount but I knew there was something missing and everything had a niceness about it, the smc40’s brings it alive (also helped by the addition of the 250DR). Drums sound real, sax sounds real, I’m now in the front row.
Only had these for 3 days and every day it improves.
So Happy :grinning:.

I was also impressed with my dealer (Basically Sound), demonstration and installation was brilliant ( took lots of time listening and positioning).

I did like the pmc25.24, but unfortunately I auditioned the ATC before them, they covered the lower frequencies well and tweeter was nice. But there was something missing in the middle frequencies. I guess because it’s a 2 way, the pmc25.26 was out of my budget so I didn’t audition.

For information rest of system, Supernait 3, HiCap and NDX2, I uses Qubuz.

11 Likes

Love my ATC’s :grin:

30 Likes

@Povey51 - Many find SCM40s addictive.

Now you have the 250, you could get more detail and control by swapping the Supernait for a 282. If that looks like far too much cash given how well it all sounds now, bear in mind that an olive 82 fron eBay would probably cost less than you could sell the SN for. I am not the only one that thinks an 82 sounds just as good as a 282.

The wonderful 52 (see other threads) is cheap now too. However it needs a full size Supercap (or its own matching PS), not a Hicap, while 82 and 282 will be happy with a Hicap.

With 82 or 52, my NDX2 also benefited significantly from a s/h XPS.

Of course, the limit here may not be cost or how pleased you already are with the sound, but simply box-count…

2 Likes

Thanks Nick
I hadn’t thought about the 82, but I don’t think I will be spending any more money for a while.
I had thought about an XPS or 282 sometime in the future, funding and my wife approving.
Considering just over a year ago I was running a Nova, I will have to put a break on upgrading for a while or may consider I have reached my goal.
How many others have said that haha.
Looking forward to hear what it’s like after a few weeks.
Love these speakers and the spreed and attack.
BTW these opinions are mine and I don’t wish to upset anyone.
I did listen to the actives but from the Supernait 3 wasn’t happy, greater speed and attack, would need to upgrade pre to possibly sound right and as I said earlier about budget. I did a lot of auditioning with the new 250 but settled on the DR mainly due to the price, the DR still sounding good to me ( new 250 did sound better or different ).

1 Like

Tony is a top guy, no sales pressure and all about making sure customer is happy - great ethos on customer service.

Enjoy, those ATC’s are such good value.

3 Likes

The 20 tower has to be one of the most beautiful speakers made. Imho. So simple and the dimentions are just right.

That all looks very sensible.

2 Likes

I agree with you, great guy Tony

1 Like