Show us your flowers πŸ’

5 Likes

It just means ruthless weeding not total blitzing

More from the garden

10 Likes

Buddleia flowering quite well this year. Scruffy things, but the insects love them.

4 Likes

Crocosmia is good for providing a splash of colour when most plants have finished flowering.

3 Likes

Very important for butterflies

m

And here’s one I did earlier ( this week)

3 Likes

and on the same buddleia today

3 Likes

Rosa β€˜Lady Emma Hamilton’ - bred by David Austin and introduced in 2007.

My roses seem to be loving the hot, dry weather. No black spot on the leaves at all this year.

8 Likes

My alltime favorite.

6 Likes

And a mushroom- beautiful like a flower

7 Likes

Verrone’s Obsidian dahlia - the pollen appears irresistible to this fella

4 Likes

Almost all of my roses (about 40 plants of at least 20 varieties) are doing badly this year. I have worse black spot than normal, while a few even have mould (botrytis), but, most disappointing, individual blooms seem to last no more than about 24 hours before they effectively shrivel in the heat. I still get the odd surprise, as below today, but it will be gone tomorrow.

4 Likes

This huge dragonfly flew past me yesterday in my garden, then landed near. Wingspan is 4"-5". Super sensitive, but if I moved very slow, I could get as near as I wanted (literally phone was 2"-3" away) Strange it just didn’t sense danger. Amazing creature with a robotic swivelling head. Its wings are so fine, I have no idea how the structure stays together. Apparently it’s a southern hawker. Shame mob phone images are naff, as loads of detail lost.

11 Likes

8 Likes

Those are very good photos.

I’m a relatively keen photographer , but I think the mobile has done huge positive things for photography .
Also a mobile doesn’t suffer as badly from camera :movie_camera: shake .

Ian

Nice scent?

1 Like

Yes, a lovely citrus scent. What with the colour, your brain thinks it is orange peel. I believe this particular rose has been discontinued by David Austin, which is a shame.

1 Like

Gatekeeper Butterfly

Phil

6 Likes

I second that, the rose bushes have never been so lovely and full of bloom as this year :heart_eyes:

1 Like

As you say, an amazing creature.
As a keen fisherman of over 5 decades I get to see many types of dragonflies regularly. They can be very bold. I have quite often had them using my knee (or fishing rod) as a perch to ambush a passing meal.