Show us your garden tools

This is my favourite pair of topiary shears from Japan. There is no mechanical assistance but they cut like a hot knife through butter because the blades are so sharp. They are easy to maintain: wipe down with a damp cloth and then coat the blades with camellia oil to prevent rust. These are an absolute pleasure to use and the price doesn’t break the bank either.

What garden tools do you use and why do you like them?

2 Likes

Now here’s a subject …

Arrived yesterday - snath and handles are oiled up, but here are the blades and peening tools. I should be out on the grass later in the week after I’ve oiled the snath again.

2 Likes

My favourite tools are these … there’s a hoe, shovel, and another trowel in the garden. But these have been oiled and cleaned until another day.

It’s not that I have thing about Austrian tools (and wine), but they are exceptional quality and a joy to use. Except when SWMBO decides to use them in an appropriate manner.

2 Likes

We don’t have “garden tools”. We have staff! They probably have some :slight_smile:

1 Like

Consider yourself privileged, some of us take pleasure from maintaining our own upkeep. Your circumstances may change. These are uncertain times.

It… was… a… joke!

2 Likes

You’d make a terrible comedian! No hard feelings.

1 Like

And you - a terrifying audience.

2 Likes

This mattock was a recent acquisition, and has proved to be the most brilliant item of gardening equipment I’ve ever owned. Just great for digging out old roots, clumps of grass etc., and for breaking up compressed ground.

3 Likes

For light pruning:
For the more serious stuff and to vent off steam:

3 Likes

An earlier version of one of these which was acquired from Wickes for ~£120 and has performed very well, cutting trunk pieces and branches far beyond what the guidance notes say it is capable of. Unfortunately, some pieces have needed to be repaired/replaced and even minor parts cost ~£55 apiece inc delivery. I’m not 100% clear but it seems the 'web searches for parts take you back to the same distributor - I avoided cheaper stuff on e-bay, as I was dubious on quality.

Far better than electric chainsaws.

1 Like

My most favourite garden tool!

4 Likes

These traditional Japanese lopping shears have carbon steel forged blades and they make mince meat of branches up to an inch in diameter. The oak handles also provide natural shock absorption and they are a real pleasure to use.

2 Likes

On same lines I bought one of Screwfix’s in-house brand (Titan) chainsaw 2 years ago for £99. Apart from one replacement chain it’s cost me nothing. I’ve logged in excess of 1.5 tons of windfall branches (a relative works for the local council). It still starts on first pull. Paid for itself many times over.

1 Like

We don’t mess around when it comes to weeding.
RDS1

2 Likes

So glad you included “garden” in the topic title.
God knows how it might have panned out …

1 Like

Wow! Amazing! A cure for famine, or coronavirus lockdown food shortages!

Don’t encourage him/her: Clearly a smut fiend already.

Yep, tough crowd.

This pair of Japanese scissors is forged by the master blacksmith Taira Kubo. Shirogami white paper steel is hand laminated to produce blades that cut precisely all the way to the tip: notice how the blades overlap slightly. They are perfect for pruning bonsai or delicate tasks that require precision.

2 Likes