Show us your guitars!

I was getting a fret buzz on the D string. There was no fret wear or neck warp that was causing the problem - I do like a low(ish) action.

My local luthier said he could build up the nut groove but it wasn’t the best solution - hence a new nut.

1 Like

That would probably be the Super Glue & Bicarb trick… Works quite well. Better than you might think… :smiley:

I am currently ‘fiddling’ with the set up on my Red Special style Partscaster.
After it got a new neck (which has the small, ‘Vintage’ headstock…)

1 Like

Yes I have heard that Is a luthierian trick.

Its quite legit… It must be - its on YouTube…!!! It worked on my Epiphone Les Paul.

1 Like

Some lutherians use that method(ist), yes. :wink:

Latest acquisition; a used but mint (like I can’t figure out how he kept it so new, especially since he is a pro player) Martin OM-42 in amberburst.

Simply the prettiest acoustic guitar I’ve ever seen…just the right amount of “bling.”

This means some other(s) have to go, but this was the exact model & finish I wanted and they don’t come around too often, especially in mint condition, so I jumped and will repair the monetary damage after the fact via sales!

21 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

The attention to detail on your new guitar is stunning - the inlay work on the fretboard is lovely. Can’t recall the technical term for the inlays around the front (I was speaking to a luthier yesterday who told me) but it is very classy on your model. What are the woods used? Walnut for the back? Great purchase.

Thank you Isca - Sitka spruce top with premium East Indian Rosewood back & sides. Scalloped bracing and set neck. Has Fishman F1 Aura+ system factory-installed also. A forever guitar…very pleased with it. Especially since a while back I tried and failed on acquiring a D-41 in amberburst, and this is even more to my liking.

Fabulous! I’m sure you’ll enjoy playing that one. Or even just looking at it.

1 Like

It’s a 2013, and not even a hint of buckle rash.

1 Like

Hi all

Lowden F50 with Sitka top and Ziricote back & sides

21 Likes

Kerfing, I think.

Gorgeous Martin and the Lowden too. Beautiful things.

1 Like

Possibly ‘purfling’?

I agree, the Lowden is exceptional too.

2 Likes

Beat me to it, some call it binding

1 Like

New terminology to me - I nodded along to the luthier’s description but out of my depth here. No idea how the binding is done, but absolute respect to those who can create such wonderful instruments.

The chap I was speaking to on Friday (James Millman, who works out of Bideford, North Devon) showed me the guitar he was crafting for the chap out of The Verve - a beautiful small acoustic. I asked him how many guitars he makes a year - ten!

Unaware of Ziricote before your pic - absolutely beautiful.

Many thanks. It sounds as good as it looks, at least IMHO!

Lovely!

Thanks for the link Isca - interesting.

You sometimes see ziricote guitars incorporating the sapwood / heartwood as a very pale streak down the centre of the back. Some like this; I don’t particularly and I asked Lowden to avoid using any pale sapwood in the guitar. I think the end result looks pretty good.

1 Like