Show us your guitars!

Mine actually has a really subtle quilted maple top. Not immediately apparent in other than bright light. Most would think it is just black. The neck is 5-piece laminated, with the 3 main pieces (maple?) quarter-sawn. It’s a really interesting guitar. Seymour Duncans and Tonepros hardware.

If you’re set on a V, and if you can, track down a Korina Hamer flying V. They’re actually a better guitar than many of the Gibsons.

If you’re set on a V, and if you can, track down a Korina Hamer flying V. They’re actually a better guitar than many of the Gibsons.

I know what you mean. I own a Hamer American Studio. A much nicer guitar IMO than the Les Paul (which I also own). It’s just that my dealer has this used Gibson V (and a couple of Epiphone Vs), and I’m not happy to buy a guitar unless I can try it first.

1 Like

Quick story: I was in a small guitar store in San Francisco a few years back. Co-incidentally, Joe Bonamassa was also there. (We’d been to his concert the night before, and had joked that it would be funny to bump into him). A small brush with fame, but while I was there, he bought a used Hamer Flying V. He said that it would be a good touring back up for his vintage Gibson Vs.

5 Likes

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. :face_with_monocle:

5 Likes

My lot. Gathering dust a bit as taking a break from gigs.
In the process of deciding which are to leave the nest. Need to rationalise. Difficult as they each mean somethibg for various reasons.
Excuse the music room clutter. In the middle of clearing the decks as this room will be returned to the wife once the extension is completed.

12 Likes

Yes, I need to cull my herd as well - have one up for sale now (2018 SG) and need more to follow.

And yet I can think of 3 or 4 more I’d like to buy…but that is not going to happen.

1 Like

And your favourite is?

One I rarely, if ever play…my 1986 Kramer Baretta with the Kline graphic. Had it since I was 18. So 35 years. Cost me about 6 months wages at the time. Its a one trick pony, but it does that trick unbelievably well.
As a daily driver the Luke 3 is hard to beat. An impeccable guitar.

2 Likes

Time for some classical guitarrs! I am not a collector and have only 3 guitarrs with different characters that I use different locations. My old school Yamaha, a concert Paulino Bernabe and now, a Per Hallgren. The last two with spurce tops. I had the opportunity to visit Per in his workshop when I picked up the guitarr and spend half a day chatting about life, universe and everything. Per only builds around 7 guitarrs per year and posts then for sale when they are ready and you need to be quick. He build one quitarr with a bottom of old newspapers to prove his point that “fancy bottoms” make little sense.

12 Likes

No sooner do I say I have to thin the herd, and the herd grows…

I came across this on Craigslist; a Recording King RD-328; part of their “Tonewood Reserve” series. Solid East Indian RW back and sides, solid Adirondack spruce top, rosewood fretboard, one-piece mahogany neck, herringbone purfling, Grover open-back tuners, soft-V neck profile, dovetail neck joint, bone nut and saddle. Excellent fit and finish.

Is it a Martin D-28? Of course not. But at a list price of $799 (as opposed to over $3,000), these are great guitars, and based on my assessment in playing it, it easily comes in at 75% (if not more) of a D-28. Obviously, durability and longevity can only be determined over time. Made in China, but everything is overseen by a group in San Francisco in terms of build, setup, etc.

This one was bought by a dentist who apparently has a ton of money; he buys guitars, takes them home to try them, then more than half he brings to one of the luthiers here to get rid of them if he doesn’t want to keep them. The luthier had this one, a Guild F-150, and a Taylor 214 Deluxe from this guy. I gave $425 out the door for it - hard for me to imagine a better spent $425 on a guitar. It is literally as-new. Came with a Yamaha soft case.

I will tweak the truss rod, put new strings, and may touch up the fret ends, but it was a find. I easily could flip it for $100 to $150 in profit, but it ain’t going anywhere, at least not for a while.

10 Likes

Need a ‘Show Us Your Kit’ for drummers :smile:

I’ve only got a snare these days, and just about tolerated by my wife so long as I don’t ‘play’ it (a loose term denoting the suffering inflicted on poor rudiments).

Oops, typical drummer hijack!

4 Likes

If we’re having drums, can we do pianos too? My lockdown purchase (and the reason I play my guitars a lot less than I used to!!

8 Likes

Hmm… well… Pianos at least have strings… albeit far to many… even for a Prog Guitarist… :crazy_face:

Here are 7 to start with…

4 Likes

Incoming:

201104363793025f-2

201104363793025f3

One of these,

211105376420025f

and one of these,

and some of these.

Who cares if the arthritis is kicking in, and who cares if I was never that great a player anyway, but I just 'ad to 'ave it.

7 Likes

I agree - you did need this! :wink:

1 Like

Arrived yesterday afternoon, and it sounds great, well, as great as it’s ever going to sound in my fat finger hands.

Never mind, as a huge Scream fan, I think it looks sensational!

10 Likes

Nice one Dave, GuitarGuitar ?

1 Like

The very same, as they were doing an unbeatable offer which included a Screamadelica Fuzzface for less than everyone else’s price for just the guitar. :man_shrugging: :+1:

2 Likes

My well-gigged 2001 USA Tele, seen better days but characterful and a great player

8 Likes

Came across this and thought it might prove helpful:

8 Likes