Show us your guitars!

Peripherally related - I bought a 46" LED lamp at the thrift store for $1.99 (2 in a box - brand new…when I got home, I was thinking, “why TF didn’t you buy another 3 or 4?”)

I bought aluminum angle and did my first drilling and metal-to-metal fastening - and now have a much better lighting situation on the guitar workbench:

6 Likes

I think that Mr Springsteen has recorded most of his music using something remarkably like the guitar in the middle of those three photos. Does history relate whether he has always used the very same guitar, which I think is a Fender Esquire?

My estimation of Keef dropped when I read that he would buy half a dozen Fenders at a time and have roadies hit them with motorbike chains to make them look suitably beaten up.

Here is a nice article about his guitar:

https://guitar.com/news/music-news/see-bruce-springsteen-tell-the-story-of-his-born-to-run-telecaster/

I can only imagine what that could fetch at an auction…definitely aged the honest way. I have never gotten the whole “relic” thing myself.

I am pretty sure those are not the original bridge/saddles.

3 Likes

The advantage of that type of bridge is that you don’t catch clothes or skin on the saddle height adjustment screws. I have a standard bridge on mine but use an ‘ashtray’ to overcome the problem, but it does make palm damping more difficult.

1 Like

That Boss Guitar is not far off what I am building. Looks to have a Modern Tele bridge (and saddles) - tick. Black Pickguard - tick. But I have deviated heavily with the shape… :astonished:

I have the ashtray on the replica George Harrison rosewood Tele I built - how do you get it to stay on reliably? I now know why GH discarded his so early on in owning that guitar - mine falls off rather easily.

I tried to bend it by hand, but it’s too stiff. So I stuck a short piece of electrical tape on the inside of the tray on one side.

Thanks - I’ll try that.

Trial build of the Tele-Strat. The Neck plate arrived so it could all go together for the 1st time.

Seems it needs a Neck Shim, based on what my straight edge tells me. I have put a 0,2mm on in, but it will probably need more (0,5mm fixed my last project).

Still waiting on Body Ferrules (I got a set, but one was dimensional way off - replacement being posted) and on more/finer Sanding Sheets, for my Mouse Sander, to complete sanding, before finishing starts.

Finish is also still TBD - as is a Pickguard. I know what I want - just not ordered yet.
(Trying to keep my Credit Card under control…)

4 Likes

Resting on a trusty Poang too… nice.

Looking good Ian.

The Tele-Strat is complete. With all the parts ready, it only took me 30 minutes to build it. Not including stringing it or setting it up, though.

Its a ‘thin’ (so 40mm) Squier body - and when I weighed it it came out at 6.89 lb - 3,12kg - which is actually lighter than my thin body Strat…!!

The finish is Boiled Oil over Butterscotch stain.

11 Likes

Outstanding job - looks great!

Now put it in open G and learn some Keef riffs!

1 Like

Lols. Err, no. Early Led Zeppelin Jimmy Page riffs are more my thing… :slightly_smiling_face:

That works too! :+1:

1 Like

These belong to my left-handed brother. He has more.

8 Likes

Impressive - do you know anything about those display cases?

My brother anticipated the question.

“Custom build to solve the problem of humidifying a bunch of guitars in a very dry climate. The builder designed what could best be called a guitar humidor. Passive humidification with wooden troughs with plastic inserts filled with water.“

Here’s another photo that better indicates the size of his collection:

8 Likes

That could be around 45 guitars… :astonished: :face_with_spiral_eyes:

I haven’t asked him recently. The last time I did, he had about 30.