Show us your LS3/5a’s

I’m thinking, purely for aesthetic reasons, of trading my Supernait 3 for a Nait 50. Its looks so cool.

7 Likes

The Nait 50 does look very cool but I wouldn’t trade in my SN3 for one unless I’d listened to one and preferred it’s sound.

5 Likes

Is this exclusively ls3/5a’s. Or ls3/5a type speakers?

1 Like

I’m more than happy to see your LS3/5a type speaker.

3 Likes

Linn Kan mki

13 Likes

A classic speaker I have never had to chance to hear. Look great.

1 Like

Yes what the Kans do well they do very well indeed. With a lesser system ( source) they are able to dig out a shocking amount of detail from the signal. I still haven’t set them up properly I wish I had used the Naim plugs at the speaker end and pushed them right up to the wall. Another problem is my wall isn’t straight so the right speaker is further away from the wall which I can detect as a slight less energetic response from the right. And obviously not as much bass as I’m sure super close wall proximity will produce.

2 Likes

I heard a Nait 50 driving Rogers LS3/5a s two weeks ago, source ND5XS2 , superb . I have a Harbeth P3ESR and I think the Rogers were better

4 Likes

I’m certainly tempted. I must hold firm. :thinking:

I really miss my LS3/5A’s. I purchased a pair of 15 ohm Rogers LS3/5A’s in teak back in 1986. They were manufactured by Swisstone under BBC license and part of my first “entry level” high end system. The system was comprised of a Rega Planar 2 (original version with wood plinth) a lustre tone arm and Rega RB 100 MM phono cartridge. Electronics used were a Belles Audio I power amplifier and Belles 1 preamplifer with the dual volume controls. That system gave me a decade’s worth of musical enjoyment. I eventually upgraded to Naim gear which was clearly better, but do have fond memories of that first system. Wish I still had my LS3/5A’s which I paid $500 for at the time. :blush:

6 Likes

Yes, it is amazing that there are three manufacturers making them in this country with one somewhere abroad .
In addition Harbeth and Spendor make very similar models .
$500 was probably a lot more then .

If I were to replace the Harbeths it would be with LS3/5A .

2 Likes

Factoring in for inflation, $500 in 2024 would be close to $1500. I do miss my LS3/5A’s but over the years I’ve developed a real appreciation for other good sounding bookshelf speakers. I now use an original pair of Linn Kan I’s and a pair of KEF Reference Series 101’s, which KEF manufactured to compete with the LS3/5A. The 101’s also have the same drivers as the LS3/5A, but a different, yet equally sophisticated crossover. The real behefit is that even though they were similar in price when new, the 101’s price on the used market remains a bargain. A pair can be had in nice shape for around $500 US

1 Like

I would recommend the Sterling V3 that I’ve replaced my P3esr 40th anniversary.

3 Likes

Here are my old early Rogers “gold label” LS3/5as - dressed and undressed. I no longer have them though as they now live in H-K…

17 Likes

I have just bought a ND5XS2 … plus oodles of cables

Empty Pocket Syndrome

Ian

3 Likes

Which Harbeth do you have. I heard the XD version and they were very good

I’d imagine these are quite rare now?

I think most are now out in the Far East. The early Rogers gold labels are highly prized by collectors these days.

1 Like

I have the version before the XD , I auditioned the anniversary model In lovely olive wood) but went for the standard eucalyptus. That is one wood that is highly sustainable , I once went up the East Coast of South Africa to the Mozambique border and you drove through mile after mile of the stuff

2 Likes

I have a pair of early Rogers LS3/5As in my office, inherited from my father who bought them new soon after they were released. I’m not going to be there for a week or so but will post a photo here when I get back.

I also have a pair of what are probably rarer, but not more desirable, LS3/5As made by RAM which had a manufacturing licence briefly but then went out of business. I bought them ex demo from a small hifi shop in Guildford which itself went out of business some time later. I believe very few pairs were actually sold. More later!

4 Likes