Show us your portables

Be it a Walkman, discman, iPod, boombox etc. If It’s portable and plays music, your in.
Shows us what you do own or even what you did back in the day.

Here’s one from me, The Sony D-88 Discman. It’s so small that when it’s in your pocket it will only play CD singles as a full size disc spins outside the casing. I’m off now to locate which draw my iPod is in the bottom of.

7 Likes

Hard to believe that actually exists. CD singles…

1 Like

It certainly exists although its operation is a bit hit and miss and don’t know how much longer its going to work for. It seams to only want to read certain CD’s and after a while the CD start to spin erratically up and down and you need to give it a little nudge back into line. I think it’s safe to say it is long past it’s intended design life.

2 Likes

The gold brick, my Sony Walkman WM1Z.

2 Likes

Posted this in the MD thread but it doesn’t cost much to post again.

Possibly greatest portable device before Y2K.

3 Likes

Inherited from my wife’s aunt and unused for numerous years. I sounded a bit farty when I first turned it on and I thought the driver surround must have perished but after a few weeks it cleared up so I presume it was a few capacitors needed reforming. The sliders have now become a bit crackly and exercising them doesn’t seem to clear it, might have to track down some contact cleaner.

10 Likes

Very nice Grundig there and an interesting reaction you had.

This old Roberts was recommissioned at the weekend for occasional use in the loft workshop.

7 Likes

:sunglasses:

6 Likes

Auction site special. Amazing sound and great value second hand.

4 Likes

Some of my Walkmans (Walkmen?);

Sony WM-D3 (TC-D3), WM-DC2, and JVC CQ-1K. They’re all still working and sound good, although the DC2 succumbed to the clicky drive cog some years back. Then again it’s had a hard life in my hands - it even went to Everest (not to the top though).

10 Likes

The DC2 is such a design classic! Better than my Denon MD player for sure

3 Likes

“You can fool some of the people all of the time…

I’ve had this little Fiio player for a few years, I normally take it on holidays. Compared to a lot players on the market it was quite inexpensive. It’s been reliable and sounds rather good considering it’s price. The only problem is I find it a problem carrying this around as well as my phone. Also I wish someone would develop an app that allowed you to use it in the car, I can of course connect but it means I have use the device to find or play anything.

4 Likes

Some great players…would love a DC-2 but the boat has sailed on these in regards to cost!

Still have my WM Pro & ECM909 :+1:

1 Like

Another one from me, FH-909R.

Running a few tapes through it this afternoon.

Son -‘Daddy, who’s this playing he’s really good’

Me - ‘George Michael’

Son - ‘Daddy, who’s George Michael?’

:grin:

3 Likes

I’ve digged it up from the archive.

I’ve replaced the internal disk by a 32 gb memory card.

4 Likes

4 Likes

4 Likes