Show us your scale model kits!

Very nice collection!

1 Like

Thanks. I have another 10 or so in boxes, with no place to display them. Some are valuable collectibles. I hope the executor of our estate figures that out. LOL

@DanielH said scaled model we assembled so I didn’t post this. You might like these ones @JosquinDesPrez. The Sauber c9 Silver Arrows and Jaguar Silk Cut xjr-9.

The last one isnt Le Mans but I love that car, the auto union typ c and the hill climb version although you can’t see the twin wheels in the pic.

8 Likes

And just to keep @DanielH happy, here’s the Tamiya XJR-9 Silk Cut although it remains in the box un-assembled. :joy:

4 Likes

Oh hell, my bad. I didn’t assemble and I didn’t pay attention. Love the cars though.

I assembled a lot when I was a kid/teen. Even took a couple ribbons at model contests.

Now I assemble my bicycles for riding. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Absolutely love the AC Cobra and Ford GT40 and the Selby story.

1 Like

Heehee, I don’t think @DanielH minds. We have already take the thread from static to RC planes and cars. :wink:

2 Likes

I am too cheap and chicken to play with full sized cars. Learned quite a bit from RC cars, especially nitro rc cars. Great fun indeed!

Shame a lot of youtubers of late are only interested in speed runs. There’s so much more than speed like handling corners, changing viscosity of the diff fluids in the front, center and rear diffs to get different performance and characteristics out of the car, tyre patterns, toe in/out, suspension droop, springs, oil, etc. Even using ABS and changing steering and throttle respond on the radio.

This black one used to have a gyro installed. That gyro is on the Tamiya comical one now. Makes it very easy to drift. Great fun! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Missy and I looooved the ALMS races. The drivers were so approachable, friendly and always signed our cars if we asked. Johnny O’Connell, Bill Auberlen, Allan McNish and Joey Hand were particularly friendly. Joey always, always, always recognized us walking through the paddock, waved in recognition and took time to chat, even when busy getting ready for practice or quali. It was almost as if you could pick up wrench and they’d be happy for your participation. F1 was the opposite. You got the sense they’d be happier if you stayed home and out of their way, watched on TV and purchased from their sponsers to support their Monoco lifestyles. LOL

The only curmudgeon who refused to lift a pen was Bobby Rahal. He refused to sign my Apple Porsche when he managed the BMW team and we were huge, loyal fans (and M3 customer). What a scrooge. :roll_eyes:

I have always loved le mans more than F1, especially since Senna has passed and Schumacher has left. All the best to Schumacher’s recovery.

1 Like

Oops I forgot Jaguar Type D (the bat mobile) was also a Le Mans racer!

7 Likes

Took my little black 1/8 scale out for the bash. Omg, it reached 95.3km/h on grass which was pretty horrifying for me. Back when it was nitro, it reached 53.4km/h and I thought that was decent given its age. At much higher speed, it was all over the place. To tame this beast, I changed the droop rate, camber angle, spring tension and change diff oil weight and put on a set of badlands wheels.

The field was about 140 x 100m with short grass. Not bad. But at 95km/h it only takes a few seconds to go the full length. Good thing two sides of the field slope up with tall grass (and trees). The grass would fairly quickly slow it to a halt assuming I don’t hit a tree. But silly me I ended up running it into a stone wall on the other side and the car came out second best against the wall. :sob: Here is a list of damages:

• Lost one suspension rod.
  • Bent one suspension rod.
  • Cracked wheel hub carrier.
  • Snapped steering arm.
  • Snapped suspension holder.
  • A number of bent screws and lost 2 e-clips.

Not a mark on the tyres or wheels or bumper or shell which is remarkable. Thank God I have spare parts so I am not grounded totally. The only thing I don’t have is a wheel hub carrier spare. But the old carrier still appear operational and stable.

More spares are on the way between mid Jan and end of Feb. Hopefully soon and I don’t break anything else in the meantime. I did wear out the rear diff and overhauled both front and rear diffs just recently. :joy:

All fixed!

Imagine the cost if it were full size. Anyway, I hope you don’t think I am this reckless or careless behind the wheel on the road. :smiley:

2 Likes

Daniel

Great idea for a thread. I’m really enjoying all the talent on display.

1 Like

Lotus 107B from 1993. Tamiya 1:20 scale

6 Likes

1967 Corvette 1:12 scale Monogram

3 Likes

USS Constitution 1:96 scale (unfinished)

6 Likes

Omg, this is beautiful. I couldn’t tell it is not finished if you didn’t say so!

1 Like

Thanks David! I have put 135 hours in it so far. I estimate I will need about 500 hours to finish it. Every part is painted and assembled. I still have 33 sails to paint and install with all the roping.

Wow! Much better than a jigsaw puzzle. Something to look back and admire at for decades. Worthy to be a family heirloom imho!

1 Like

Does this count? Not the loco, that’s bought. The building flat is scratchbuilt out of moulded plasticard sheet and shapes on foamboard and painted. The L sign is made up of 3 layers of plastic and card. It is intended as part of a layout being built in 3 box files.

steve

5 Likes