Show us your scale model kits!

I did gather that and as always nice to be into something together. I did both Classic LM and normal LM over a 10 year period. The group of us ( 7 ageing boys) then went to Nurburgring 24H for a couple of years, followed by us deciding to go driving there ourselves, which we now do once every June, and I’m keeping fingers crossed for this year, as it really is a trip to look forward to! ATB Peter :checkered_flag:

2 Likes

Absolutely awesome work. I had to pixel peep to realise the Tiger is a model and still only just. Wonderfully photographed without colour so textures stand out and loud and proud. Really impressed with the environment and plantation around also. Again, the black and white helps the track marks which is well done. Thank you for sharing!

I am not sure if a metal chain track could make this any better. Well done.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your kind appreciation David. The weathering of the tank and building the Diorama were actually the bits I enjoyed the most. The kit itself about a thousand parts went in including a multitude of changes helped by in some areas scratch building them with dental composite materials from my past career. The hedge behind the tank was built with oak moss handpicked by my wife and I on our local country walks and for example the straws in the grass verge were handpicked dried straws out of my lawn mover and subsequently individually glued in situ. Yep, it took a while… :relaxed: Thanks again Peter

David, above is an example of mods to the turret top to make it the right production run from memory dating October 1943 ( G?). Yeah… Best Peter

2 Likes

Peter,

Fabulous model of an iconic war machine. What is the story behind the corrugated stuff around the turret and upper body on your model which does not appear in the photo of the real beast?

my 55 year old Airfix kit (long lost) didn’t have it either… LOL

1 Like

Hi susywong, the corrugated structure was a compound called Zimmerit, which the German tank crews applied in the field ( basically an almost gypsum mix sludge that once warmed up and burned hard with large bunsen burners turned into a rock hard surface coating, which prevented enemy stick mines to adhere to the vertical surfaces and hence only applied there. This was mainly used on the Eastern front, where the Russians were using that particular type of magnetic mine. However, on the Western front none of the Allied troops used these, so you could argue, that at least it gave the Germans something to do in their spare time. :rofl:
My problem was that the kit didn’t come with it being a model of an early production run Tiger 1. I worked out to use a model building mixable paste dragging it over the surfaces and replicating the distinct pattern with the tip of a screwdriver dipped in water, and yes it was a bit of faff tbh. I’ve enclosed a close up shot of my Zimmerit mock up. ATB Peter

4 Likes

That’s new info for me - very interesting. I watched a movie many years ago, set on the Eastern Front, where the Russians were attaching mines to the tanks.

I hope you will post pictures when you’ve got the crew & soldiers finished.

1 Like

@PeterR you can so start a youtube channel about your models and modelling skills and I will become your stalker! I mean fan. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

That’s impressive. Nice work.

1 Like

Some lovely work here guys, thanks for sharing.

The RC scratch built models I made were meant to be used so there was some trade off between accuracy and ultimately usability especially as some were steam powered, the oil, heat and steam plays havoc with fine detail. At 1/2” to the foot you can get a fair bit of detail in.

I will scan some old photos

1 Like

Military modellers are far ahead of the majority of railway modellers (including me!) when it comes to weathering. I can’t recall many layouts that approach this level of skill.

steve

3 Likes

The miniature motors and servos, lights, smoke, sound, that go into some of the RC trains and tanks are amazing. There is this Tamiya 1/16 M1A2 Abraham RC tank where turret and gun can maintain their direction and elevation as vehicle turns, smoke machine and reproduces start up, acceleration and shutdown sound sequence has per the real mccoy, recorded from the actual tank. Gun recoils and tank kickback, lights, etc. Still you have photo-etched metal parts and nothing is sacrificed in terms of details.

There is a set of videos by an ex American military serviceman who worked on the actual tank before so he has intimate knowledge of the details. He applause the accuracy of the Tamiya and passionately painted the inside white, just like the real thing. Kudos to him.

Here is the first unboxing video and he has a set of build videos as well.

2 Likes

At the time that the 1/16 scale Tamiya RC kits hit the shelves I remember the Sherman being very popular, I could not afford one so I hacked a 1/32 scale Tamiya Chieftain. Craming the RC in was a bit of a squeeze but it worked. I later swapped it for an RC slope soarer kit with 72" wing span. I had many miserable hours trying not to crash that thing!

2 Likes

Haha, I still can’t justify getting the 1/16 Abrams full option kit so I put that money to subsidise a sub instead. :wink:

When I was younger I used to do lots of static kits but have moved over to RC now and only do static very occasionally. This is my brothers car, a Baja 5b which is 1/5 scale ( you can see a 30cm ruler in first picture to give idea of size). He has upgraded it a lot and now wants to put a bigger engine on it. Current one is 26cc and I said he needs to work on the brakes before bigger engine as it would never stop ! He bought 4 wheel disc set up and I am in process of putting them on and a bit of sorting out in the wiring dept. Should be back up and running in next few days.

6 Likes

Hi biddler, that’s an amazing bit of kit that, I bet it goes like stink! :+1:t3: ATB Peter

1 Like

Yes it does and weighs a fair bit so you don’t want to hit anything with it … a lot of tears will ensue otherwise …

1 Like

Awesome infamous Baja with heaps of aluminium upgrades! This thing is huge and weight a ton, not to mention loud and smokes! Cheaper running on petrol than nitro and I think it’s strong enough to carry you on it. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Monogram 1929 Ford T Pickup, 1/24 scale. Built 40 odd years ago. Box stock and brush painted. Has survived 4 house moves and 3 wives.

steve

8 Likes

Hope the new hydraulic disc brakes work well. All my broken parts finally came along with spares. Running even better than before probably because of some added shims to remove some play in the wheels, full clean, diff rebuild, lube and re-grease. :blush:

1 Like