Show us your Sondek

Gorgeous

I certainly wouldn’t get tired of looking at it. Love that high gloss finish.

What’s the story with the black main deck, please?

It’s a Tangerine Audio Karmen top plate - upgrade from the standard Linn top plate.

4 Likes

Thanks. It’s a great looking combination.

Is there a consensus that the Tangerine LP12 top plate is a noticeable improvement, upgrade even, over the Linn (dished) original? Does it bring a sonic upgrade?

It looks pretty damn cool in matte black! (And I’m thinking that it would finish off my LP12 rather nicely.)

It most certainly does, Graham. I have the silver colour on mine so that it still looks vaguely like a Linn. See if you can get a back to back demo somewhere.

Regarding upgrades for 50th anniversary, a new power supply for the Radikal is a possibility, going beyond the Dynamik. I also wonder if Linn is going to make its own machined top plate.

Sensational plinth Toon I must say

Unfortunately it’s now illegal to export the Indian rosewood these days

I live in Sydney and Peter Swain advised

Bummer for me :-1:t2::-1:t2:

1 Like

A Tangerine top plate is often viewed as a significant upgrade, as is the Skorpion baseboard.

Some argue that, once you start down this road, you will end up (as I have) with the full Stiletto. It is quieter and scores on neutrality and detail imho, but you lose the beautiful wooden box and gain a lot of weight.

1 Like

I have the twin of @Toon plinth. Made as a pair by Simon and bought through Cymbiosis. For me the wood is the crowning glory and I have certain reasons never to change this. I believe however, that Solid Sounds in Leeds make a slip over wooden shroud for the TA Stiletto, so you could always return to the wooden look with the advantages of CNC underpinnings.

1 Like

Hello, Bevo. You should have a look at the Solid Sounds website. They’re based in Yorkshire, and produce handmade replacement LP12 plinths (and lots of other nice stuff). They are showing (at least) two Rosewood plinths - High Gloss Bolivian and Namibian.

I can thoroughly recommend them, as I bought a Wenge (non-endangered tropical hardwood) plinth from them last year. It’s a real craftsman’s piece, and quite an improvement on the ancient Linn ‘fruit box’ that I had had for 40-odd years.

If you have some wood of your own that you treasure, they can use it to make a plinth from it for you.

(Iain, your post appeared as I was typing my reply.)

3 Likes

My long suffering naim dealer has changed over my Simon Price Birds Eye Maple plinth for this more traditional Simon Price fluted black walnut plinth

Apologies for picture quality it doesn’t do the plinth justice

I actually think it suits the ARO tonearm better

Thanks Graham I’ll have a look at the plinths on the website you mention above

Can’t have enough plinths ha! Love wood

20 Likes

I’m off to see @Cymbiosis this afternoon to hear what the new TA Evenstar has to offer

5 Likes

It’s arrived. And it works. It really does.

5 Likes

How does it work Toon ?

Benefits please

Your black top plate kills me. I MUST have one!

What effect does it have on the ‘bounce’? Did you have to have the suspension lifted at all?

Some info from the manufacturer:

“Evenstar weights 118 gm, it is machined from a solid billet of aluminium, anodised and finished in satin silver.

The side that makes contact with the vinyl rests on three machined lands. The topside has a machined out recess which aids weight distribution and gentle down force.

There are no adverse affects on the suspension or bearing.

The point is to stabilise the record and make the job of the stylus more optimal. This results in a better sound quality. There is a clarity to the sound and greater authority”

1 Like

No comment from @Skeptikal yet?

1 Like

I’m being background Skeptikal.
Thanks for the witch hunt warning. :roll_eyes:
Keep up.

2 Likes

4 Likes