Show us your Streaming Network Set-up

May I add that I have a good wifi system, a Orbi mesh, but I gave just after 5 mins of listening when I tried wifi with my Linn DSM/3 - the sound becomes very flat, boring, no dynamic, very dull. So back in the Cisco switch with optical ethernet.

1 Like

Things are a bit “here, there and everywhere” across rooms, so an attempt for a collage:

Router with LPS, EE switch powered by UpTone JS-2 LPS, Meicord, Audioquest and Chord ethernet cables.

3 Likes

Interesting to see so many commingling their network equipment with their hifi.

I have my network equipment around the corner and generally out of sight.

5 Likes

Most agree that the ethernet cable from switch to streamer is the most important one. But have anyone played around with the ethernet cable from router to switch and can share the result. Worth spending some money on upgrading this part too?

1 Like

I have the following on mine;

• Router to first Netgear Switch; Chord-C Stream network cable (0.75)
  • Netgear switch to EE8 Switch; Chord Clearway Network cable (15m)
  • EE8 Switch to Streamer; Chord Clearway Network cable (0.75m)

For my system and for my ears I found there to be an improvement by changing the cable between the two switches.

All I can suggest is to buy one from a place with a free returns policy, try it and see if you notice an improvement. If not, you can then return it easy enough.

DG…

1 Like

C-Stream to Clearway here too.

G

I had first the Audioquest diamond between streamer and switch. But found that each leg gave significant results too. So I have now 3 Audioquest diamond ( from router, from PhoenixNet to Nds and PhoenixNet to Melco). Even if the leg from streamer to switch gave the biggest impact, the other were not minor.

1 Like

further Melco as a music server.

3 Likes

My set up, expanding Naim system…

Virgin Media 1Gb internet
NDX2
XPS DR

Yamaha A-S3200

To Wharfedale EVO 4.4’S

In quiet mode…

Feel free to offer Naim/focal replacements :slight_smile:

Control with Naim app on an Amazon Fire HD using Qobuz Studio.

6 Likes

You don’t need a full loom of boutique streaming cables to get the best from your streamer. I’d start with good quality ethernet spec cables and see what they sound like. Most here are quite happy with Bluejeans and similar ethernet spec that cost a fraction of the boutique cables.

4 Likes

True, in the end, the ears have to happy.
Like for speakers or other connective cables, I found that upgrading the connection between modem and switches has improved the sound quality. It may seem strange as we are talking of digital packages of information… still, the prove is in the listening experience.
Now I have to tame the ‘continuing upgrade bug’!

This is going to sound implausible…but…I just replaced the stock Silent Angel Forrester F1 to EE8 DC cable with an MCRU Silver one and, after a few days listening, I’m sure things are sounding more refined.

Either that or the 2nd 555PSDR has suddenly blossomed more.

It’s a funny old game.

G

2 Likes

A question: is it possible to do away with the Virgin Hub?
It seems every router/modem/switch I could find is set with the classic ethernet connection from the wall but Virgin cable from the wall has a different end…

It’s just to receive the internet as they use coax to supply it to the home. All other ports are standard Ethernet. You have to use a virgin hub to get virgin broadband. You can put the hub in modem mode and attach any other router to carry out network actions and add as many switches as you like. The hub doesn’t stop any of this. This is how I do it and many others the virgin hubs are junk as routers and Wi-Fi access points just add your own and you have nothing to worry about.

Thanks!
This is actually my current set up.(Hub set as modem connected to an Apple Air Port Extreme) Following this thread I have paid more attention to my system to spot any noise and, as it happens, the only faint noise come from the Hub, possibly a fan? So the idea of getting rid of it, if possible.
Since the noise is actually local to the hub, not affecting the system itself I may just move it away.

1 Like

Mines tucked away with all the main network gear in a cupboard under my stairs. Only have a PoE switch in the rooms to distribute to all my networked audio and video stuff.

3 Likes

Fiddling about with this (Melco S100) to see what it does vs what’s already in place.

Borrowed it from my local dealer against my better judgement!

It does make a difference and isn’t an entirely unpleasant change, whether I can justify the cost is another matter entirely.

4 Likes

Lenovo Windows 10 laptop, Audio quest Jitterbug, Supra usb cable into Audiolab 8300cd

Its a bit of a faff connecting it up but worth it for Radio Paradise which always sounds good :grin:

Waka/Jawaka :blush:

You asked for a network set up. :grinning:

UNIFI POE Switch and 3 x AP’s, 2 x NAS streamers and a NAIM ATOM hardwired

1 Like