Show us your turntable

Very nice! It’s a Technics, but not like you’ve seen before 8)

*birch

Deleted, please remove.

20 Likes

Amended ta.

Yes it is ‘essence of Technics’, only bits left are the PCB, on/off & speed buttons and the centre of the platter. Everything else is changed. You can see who made the PSU, but other highlights are the Mike New bearing and the platter, which was custom made by Tizo Acryl in Germany (brilliant company!)

1 Like

See mine above for an opinion on that. A quick search on Vertere will give more opinions and the ‘Solstice or MG-1’ thread may also help.

3 Likes

Hi Anders, I didn’t audition any record player before I bought the Vertere MG1. I had read and heard so many good things about the MG1 that when one came up for sale I bought it blind. I’ve owned the Rega RP10 and Linn LP12 majik in the past. The Vertere is a marked improvement on those turntables.

I think Nick’s post above should offer you some insight.

3 Likes

Was just reading about a UK company in HiFi World called Timestep that mods all these Technics decks with external power supplies, custom arms and plates. Apparently these modded decks are in some way semi approved by Technics and are really something special.

Yes, Kuzma have either the angled wings or the smaller teardrop shaped adapters which allow great flexibility with arm sizes. I’ve been looking at their decks quite a bit of late and the Stabi-R looks very interesting, and even more tempting in the opulent wooden variant - this walnut plinthed example is Ken Micalef’s…

619kuzmar.2

And walnut plinth with a second arm adapter…

I keep looking at Kuzma and their approach looks interesting as I am curious about the benefits of running a mono cart alongside a standard one. I’ve been doing some man maths and hopefully this time next year I’ll be in position to look at either a specced out Stabi-S with a 4-Point and perhaps a Rega RB300 for the second arm, or a used / ex-dem Stabi-R and Rega arms. Lots to think about.

13 Likes

Apologies for posting this but didn’t want to open a new topic but can anyone confirm if a carbon fiber and velvet disc pad can cause static?

When I use a Zerostat gun I can turn a record over multiple times without a problem but every time I clean the record with this brush my mat stick’s?

It seems to cause a large amount of static each time I use it and I can’t think of any other reason.

I only ever use this velvet type it collects and lifts. :+1:t2:
Always use dry.

2 Likes

Thanks, I take a look as an alternative option.

Just looked on the Hoffman forum and it does seem like it could be the culprit. I think it has built up static energy, will see if it can be cleaned.

Have you tried using the Exstatic then using the Zerostat?
I used to have the same with a Decca record brush.

New shelf, and Perspex cover for our ‘gorbe’

10 Likes

A carbon fibre brush creates static for me. Mine’s left in the drawer. And do they even clean the bit the stylus tracks?

Yes, I’ve used these and they cause static. I recommend the Ortofon brush.

Thanks all, for the bin. I do use a ultrasonic and new inners for each record, it’s more of a ritual then anything else. Will look at alternatives later on.

1 Like

I’ve not tried the phono stage on my Nait 50 but word is that it’s very good and well up to Nait 50 standards of performance .
There are plenty of excellent MM cartridges out there these days

1 Like

Try wiping the Super Exstatic on your jeans* each time after you’ve cleaned a record. It will dump any charge and also transfer the dust onto your jeans. Sounds odd, but it works.
*Doesn’t need to be jeans, but must be non-synthetic material.

2 Likes

And if the Nait 50 phono is good, that also opens the possibility of using a LOMC with a SUT.

2 Likes

I just realized you are in New Zealand not US, sorry Mike! :smiling_face:

1 Like

Super bad idea…ideal gas law says rapid decompression pulls heat out of environment - forcing a super quick temp change - even below freezing - not a good thing to do with delicate mixed media assembly…