Show us your turntable

The ND5XS should sound improved with an XPS2. They did an XP5 XS for it. The XPS2 should sound even better on it. I used to have an ND5XS and added a different DAC and it sounded alot better.

Your LP12 must be sounding really good then if it sounds similar to NDS.

I am in the waiting situation to get my LP12 parts and get it put back together again! Everything ordered. Waiting for delivery, then Audio T will assemble it.

1 Like

I think the Supercap on the Prefix helps :wink:. It’s actually nice to switch almost seamlessly between sources without trying to compare them all the time.

1 Like

Not mine, but a pair of fine-looking turntables I saw in a shop window in Istanbul.

9 Likes

That Akai is gorgeous. It pushes all the right buttons.

3 Likes

Yes. It was the Akai that caught my attention.

The SL10 has always eluded me, great broadcast quality TT

VPI Prime 21 with Dynavector dv20x2l. Lehman black cube se, Nordost purple flare 18 in RCA and Homemade rca to din beldon neutric. Sit’s on Target wall mount with 1.75 in butcher block that has Isokinetic Gai 3 feet.

16 Likes

Always admired that VPI, lovely :+1:

That turntable/arm combo surely deserves a better Dynavector cartridge, a Te Kaitora Rua perhaps!

1 Like

Yes TKR would be nice, but I have just moved from a 35-year-old rega 3 and TKR is a lot of money. My other worry is when I might need to replace it, I may not have funds and going backwards might not be very much fun.

2 Likes

That is exactly the reason I have put a £’s limit on my cartridge purchases @kenbrady.
I couldn’t bear having to go back to a £1k - £1.5k cartridge after going to a £3k+ cartridge.
My cartridge next year will be in the £1.5k maximum range.

1 Like

My old Rega
The original Planet from Doug Brady in Liverpool
SME2009 arm and Shure M95 ED (I think)
Amps are Cambridge P50 and Cambridge T55 tuner

20 Likes

Inspiration for the Amstrad TP12D, I believe. Anyone else remember that?

The XX-2 Mk II is a lovely cartridge, and comes in at around £1,400 new.

Bear in mind that Dynavector operate an exchange service when you need to replace the cartridge. Your dealer sends in the old one, and you get a 25% reduction on the purchase price of a brand new, factory fresh cartridge. That will ease the blow of buying a new one, I hope.

2 Likes

I do yes, and I nearly bought one, but I was advised to get

I do remember when Amstrad was based at one end of Ridley Road Market in Dalston, 1970’s…I never went in.

(The building beyond the graffiti!)

1 Like

I got the Philips GA212 as my first turntable. 1975iirc.

Walthamstow was seemingly awash with shops selling Amstrad gear in the mid-1970’s, particularly the Northern end of Hoe St (for those familiar with Walthamstow).

1 Like

@BigAl

Pee Jay Electricals is still there, near the station.

Apart from when Ese And The Vooduu People are playing at Ye Olde Rose & Crowne I must admit I don’t hang around Hoe St too much these days. But…the new theatre/gig venue (the cinema as was) could be interesting when it opens…

2 Likes

When I was younger, the Rose and Crown was just called, er, the Rose and Crown. It seemed to become “Ye Olde” when “Walthamstow Village” began its’ relentless expansion.

There was loads of shops selling audio gear (I would hesitate to call all of it HiFi) in the 70’s and 80’s, including Chris Thomas’s establishment (which did sell HiFi, including Nytech) below Myers Audio on Central Parade.

2 Likes