Show us your turntable

The Feickert needs a flat platter to work, or a record under it if the platter is slightly dished as the MK2 Rock’s is. The mirroring on the Smatractor helps avoid paralax and the fixed magnifier is also an asset. I’m a bit less convinced by the tiny well the stylus drops into but the lines on the Feickert are thicker all round so it’s about even there. The ST is just easier to use but if the cost of it makes you choose a lesser deck, arm or cartridge…
With good eyesight, a good ear and a steady hand, a printed protractor from Vinyl Engine might get you as far but with more effort. I made do with a Heybrook for 20+ years.

1 Like

If you truly want the most neutral response the P10 is the way to go IMO, it gets right to the heart of whats on the record. The P8 is coloured, in a very nice way, but coloured nonetheless.

1 Like

Gorgeous plinth!

1 Like

I noticed that when wear a certain type of shoe up against our floor covering I can get a shock from lifting the arm off the record and when placing the record on the platter, can hear static upon touching the cue, and that’s when the mat tends to stick to the record. There’s some kind of theory there…

1 Like

I’ll go to the basement and check my copy of The Necronomicon, I’m sure there will be a clue in there.

3 Likes

Rega Planar 8 with Apheta 3 playing through my brand new Trichord Diablo with NCPSU.
Anthem by Toyah sounds the best it ever has in my 40 years of owning a copy on various formats.

14 Likes

Since moving to a slightly dryer climate, and using an old nylon covered chair I now earth myself to the power amp case rather than test the insulation of my cartridges coils when ever I go to turn or change a record. There is often a spark, visible in low light. My mat doesn’t lift as it’s 4mm+ of acrylic but I can feel it tugging and any dirt in range jumps onto the record.
Even before moving, the SPU Royal N seemed to increase the static problem but the spark is new. I tried earthing the turntable bearing and if earthed to the superline I detected an improvement in musical coherence but its impact on static on the record was minimal.
To help counter the dust pickup I try to remember to run the Goldring Xstatic brush over the disc before lifting it, once I’m discharged and whilst in contact with an earthed item. I use antistatic sleeves but they’re not the entire answer. I read somewhere that a cationic surfactant added to the record cleaning solution might help but I’ve yet to try it. They’re present in fabric and hair consitioners but there’s a few too many other additives for comfort :grin:, still, I have a few superfluous records to try this sort of thing.

Anthem by Toyah

I used to have that LP back in the day… wonder where it went :thinking: sigh…

Interesting, ill try that or stick my finger in the plug socket… :slight_smile:

Diablo and NCPSU are not seen often here. GS is often peddled instead. And a nice v281 too.

Actually the power supply case, there’s no crack through the speakers doing that whereas when going near the arm there is. The sockets here have a male earth pin and shutters over the female live and neutral contacts so if there was one handy that would work if it’s you picking up charge rather than the record. The screws holding a UK socket’s face plate on should be earthed so they would work as a discharge point.

Was very tempted by the GS Accession MC

1 Like

A range of Trichord boxes. The Michell PSU i think is Trichord’s too.

The NCPSU can feed both Dino and Diablo.( not at the same time). As to why they make 2 NCPSUs at 2 different prices, I don’t know.
Even the so called dealers could not confirm a dino NCPSU could feed a Diablo. Email to Trichord fixed that

2 Likes

If its a real problem then earthing yourself by touching a metal object before you touch the player can work, as can wearing an earthing strap.

An earthing strap connected to JUST the earth of a 3 pin plug can be used or a commercial mat.

Hi Arnsider,

Thanks to all for nice comments.

I got IKEA Bestå for the main cabinet, smoked glass top, and glass shelves; the doors are Sindvik (with glass) and Lappviken (solid). (I just found the receipt in my email… I didn’t memorize those names!) I used the web design tool, which offered way more possible combinations than the ready-made units in the catalog itself. @RackKit did a great job with his mods to enable wiring pass-thru without sacrificing stability. Since the Nova naturally wants to be on the top of the unit, I just put the tv electronics in the middle section, which has a non-structural panel that slides into place and just left a gap for wires.

To keep with the thread theme, here is a (geometrically distorted!) photo with the central panel slid well up and out of the way (I only installed the plastic rail on the left side so it is not really tight, moves easily but sits in place):

Best wishes with your project!

Regards alan

1 Like

May I carefully suggest you move your psu neo away from the p8…poss down to your empty shelf?

Perhaps I should stop playing so much Van Der Graaf Generator.

3 Likes

You’re not the first to mention it. I’ve moved it onto the floor under the NDS. Can’t say I notice a difference.

The shelf won’t be empty for long, something is planned for next credit card month :slightly_smiling_face:

Understood…lucky you

I’ve got the Accession MC with the PSU1 Enigma and it is fantastic. Never owned a Trichord; I hear that Diablo with PSU is outstanding.

1 Like