Show your nicest natural places of your country

I live in Versailles since 2000. Paris at 30 mn by train, which i am impatient to see again, after the lockdown.

1 Like

@frenchrooster great thread. :+1:

3 Likes

This is a challenging one, because there are so many places I could choose. So as to not post too many pics to wade through, I’ll start with the far north west of Scotland, a part of Britain I really love and where I have spent many holidays, but many people don’t get to visit.

First, on the way there, this place I remember so clearly from my first visit at the age of 14 - the barren wilderness made a lasting impression on me, viewed then from a train. Rannoch Moor , crossed on the way to the pass of Glencoe, and on to Oban and Fort William, the gateway to the North West:
(https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2019/03/09/13/lochan-rannoch.jpg?w968)

Next, once past Ullapool and heading towards Unapool, you enter my favourite part. This image is of Suilven, a very distinctive mountain that dominates this area:
image(images.fineartamerica.com/images/artworkimages/mediumlarge/1/suilven-john-mckinlay.jpg)

Scotland is full of castle, large and small. Heading north a little past Suilvan you drive through Ichnadamph, and then pass this: Ardvreck Castle

(castlesintheworld.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/castello-ardvreck8.jpg)

And finally for this trip, the north coast of Scotland. Most people have heard of John o’Groats, and even maybe Dunnet head, the northernmost point of the British Mainland, but I prefer further west: the village of Durness, or this photo the beach at Sango Sands right next to Durness. On the clifftop above this beach is a campsite called Sango Sands Oasis, where I recall one being woken by the Navy bombing a nearby Island. The Island was a military practice range about 6 miles away towards Cape Wrath - yet when we got in the car ready to move on, we found the blast was sufficient to make the car rock!
(northern-times.co.uk/_media/img/8FXOWU2Z8FD73B1NH9LY.jpg)

13 Likes

It’s Suliven or Sullivan? I found that pic on the Scottish salmon. Nice area. It’s the same area?

2 Likes

Suilven

4 Likes

@frenchrooster, your thread catches the forum like fire, great stuffs. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nature and home can’t divide us. And we can travel for free.:woman_pilot::man_pilot:

Bulgaria

Region of Malyovitsa, Rila mountain:

Region of Vihren peak, Pirin mountain:

Goliam Beglik dam, Rodopi mountain:

5 Likes

Nice photos Chris, in some weather conditions I can see the peaks of Snowdonia from my house south of Dublin, I guess you can probably see the wicklow mountains too from time to time

It reminds me Poland, Mazury lakes area. Nice.

South of France, in the area of Nice. My own pictures during some different holidays. I return regularly in that area.

6 Likes

You have posted some very beautiful places of Poland :+1:. There should be ideal for kayaking.

1 Like

Kayaking in lakes in Poland were my best holidays when I was young. We have traveled 300 km during 14 days in the 80’s, from one lake to a river then another lake…and camping and fishing in savage areas.
I am kayaking sometimes in France, like in gorges du Verdon.

3 Likes

Nicest? That’s pretty hard to call around here (there’s definitely worse places to be going through a lockdown in), but New Zealand is generally pretty scenic, and the new Paparoa Track was a pretty amazing two day ride back in February…

6 Likes

Wonderful! Perhaps you know @Mike_S from your country too .

1 Like

We’ve never met, but Whangarei is a nice part of the country to live in. It looks like this pandemic is going to give be the excuse to holiday more in Aotearoa over the next year :thinking:

1 Like

In such place as yours, you can easily spend holidays there.
As for my question, I meant “know from this forum “. Your country is big.

1 Like

I thought ski - ing would be Poland’s national sport … :grinning:

:skier:

Football :soccer:

@frenchrooster

Try reading the curve again to see if you can get what I was getting at… :grin:

Best,