Shunyata cables

Thanks Richard, I very much appreciate the insight. I never imagined that HiFi could become so complicated - or compulsive (or expensive), for that matter!!

1 Like

Since when is it all about numbers? Shunyata products are outstanding you might want to try some of their Power Cords…

I remember a while back mostly everyone here said: Oh no power conditioners are bad!

Then someone tried an AudioQuest Niagara 3000…Holy Cow this chap said what a big difference.

Now AQ products are OK on a Naim System…

They are?

That’s a bit like plugging a 120 V unit into a 240 V socket and saying “who cares about numbers?”
It’s not about numbers being used to discuss SQ but about basic electrical compatibility

Some may be, some are not

1 Like

Which Naim amps are in which camp? From the NAP 500 • NAP 300 • NAP 250 • NAP V145 NAP 200 • NAP 155 XS • NAP 100 manual.

Loudspeaker cables are vitally important. They should each be at least 3.5 metres long and of equal length. The recommended maximum is normally 20 metres although longer cables may be viable with some Naim amplifiers.

*Some Naim amplifiers are designed only to work with Naim loudspeaker cable and using alternatives may degrade the performance or even damage the amplifier. *

Other Naim amplifiers can be used with any high quality loudspeaker cable although we recommend that Naim loudspeaker cable is used.

EDIT. Found this further on on NAP300. Is it this critical really? I thought this was more of an issue with the older boxes.

Only Naim Audio speaker cable should be used to connect a loudspeaker to the output of the NAP 300. Custom Naim Audio loudspeaker connectors are supplied to make the connection and in order to comply with current European safety regulations these should always be used.

DAMAGE TO THE AMPLIFIER MAY RESULT IF “HIGH DEFINITION” CABLE OR ANY OTHER SPECIAL CABLE IS USED TO CONNECT THE LOUDSPEAKERS.

Ensure when connecting speakers that they are “in phase”. That is, the positive and negative connection orientation at both the speaker and amplifier ends of the cable is the same for both channels.

1 Like

Interesting I am looking at some non speaker cables to replace my NACA5 with a Nova.

I thought all the new equipment was not problematic with no Naim cables.

The amps where I would say it’s really important not to use anything but low capacitance moderately high inductance speaker cable would be the NAP90, NAP110, NAP120, NAP140, NAPV145, NAP150, NAP155xs, NAP160, NAPV175, NAP180, NAP200, NAP250, NAP300, and NAP500. I would also include the NAIT, NAIT2, NAIT3 and NAIT5.

Naim’s own speaker cable is designed for purpose and allows the amps to perform optimally and without causing damage, so it stands to reason that it’s the only cable that Naim can wholeheartedly recommend. Anything else is an unknown - maybe a compromise in one way or other at best, and possibly the cause of expensive damage at worst.

2 Likes

I don’t deny the fact that some speakers cables are not good for Naim amps.
But why we don’t hear or read such precautions with other other brands of electronics?
I read reviews on Stereophile or other magazines since many many years and never read from a reviewer that a specific cable with specific measurements has to be carefully choosed to work with the amplifier he is reviewing.
Generally a reviewer try an amplifier and connect the speakers cables he has at home. Sometimes he says he prefers other speakers cables, but never say “ be careful, some cables are not safe to be used”.
Is Naim ready apart all other brands?

A few others have done something smilier in the past - IIRC John Farlowe followed suit with the Exposure amplifiers.

It’s just a neat and rather elegant way of removing inductors from the signal path, and I would guess it was done because the performance gains made it particularly worthwhile to do so. It’s not exactly a hardship, unless you have a particularly perverse desire to do the opposite to what the amp maker recommends. And yes, I realise that there is a good deal of commercial pressure from some customers and dealers to make it so any cable, regardless of properties, can be used. AFAIK Naim have been trying to make the amps more tolerant while not adversely compromising performance. I guess that last bit is the key, as ever with Naim.

1 Like

I have Shunyata Venom (5m length) speaker cables in my system - NDS , 252 , 300 amp into Shahinian Arc speakers.
Have had for 12 months or so - no problems, sounding great !

3 Likes

How are the venom cables in terms of sound… I’m looking at getting the latest alpha speaker cables….their power lead added better timing, bass notes tighter and larger soundstage….was hoping for more of the same from the speaker cable😃

Hi LOu, I can’t offer an explanation as to how they ‘sound’ - but they replaced a 3m set of naim super lumina cables and to my ears, no better, no worse.
However the Alpha series should be a step up from the Venom series which are at the ‘entry level’.
Was happy with the Super Lumina but a rearrangement of the room layout required longer speaker cables. (couldn’t stretch to S/L pricing).

im going to get a pair of the alpha on loan and will let you know the difference between that and super lumina which i currently have in my system. im hoping that they will be a lot better as the alpha v2 nr power cable made a big difference over the powerline, but at three times the cost you would expect that

1 Like

Good luck ! Interested to get your feedback.

Can I also add that NVA use the same approach as Naim but go a step further insisting on their own speaker cable to maintain the warranty.
Though I believe that the cable is supplied with every amp , well nearly all.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.