Sidmouth!

I can recommend the walk up “The Byes” beside the river. Also the Seaton Tramway is running and a relaxing trip past the birds on the river Axe to Colyton where I live. I can see the trams in the distance from the window of my listening room.

Shot from The Byes

1 Like

I thought Fields was/is in danger of closing. I’ve always viewed it as the template for ‘Are you being served’ :grinning:

Enjoying this , as I used to live near( ok, not that near Sidmouth) and most are suggesting stuff Miles away from Sidmouth!
Yes, the place us pleasant, but a home for retirement.
Good luck with your stay!

1 Like

That’s cool. I could do with retiring for the week…

Know the feeling!
Nice place, but a bit like Eastbourne without the excitement!

Do you have a problem with rising damp. :joy:

1 Like

I think they have been through a few crises. Website shows they are still there. It’s a few years since we were able to visit and given that we found them 30 odd years ago things have changed.
We had family friends with a caravan at Ladram Bay so in a good year might visit two or three times. The staff were brilliant with children, we were recognised on return and welcome.
It was the olde worlde charm that makes it enjoyable.
There used to be a similarly olde grocers shop, I think it is now a Coffee #1. On the left had wall inside is a display unit made by Parnells Shopfitters in Bristol. After many years visiting I discovered that my grandfather had worked on part of it. If you like fine woodworking, its worth a look.
From your photography perspective a bit further afield, Canonteign Falls might be worthwhile.

1 Like

“I figured parking would be an issue, apparently you can pay £25 for a week in a long stay???”

Bargain! Just paid that much a night for four nights in Brighton, and for a northerner that’s like a months wages lol.

Ladram Bay. And the caravans. Jeez. Takes me back. Nice little cove/ Bay. Remember getting sunburnt there as a kid.

1 Like

Same here, we lived in a small village south of Bristol and friends of my parents had a static van in Ladram Bay we used to go down for weekends this must be over 50 years ago.

Wellington, Somerset me. 45 years ago?

Woollard a small village south of Bristol and Bath moved some 46 years ago.

1 Like

We had a long weekend in Dartmouth a couple weeks ago and enjoyed a lovely lunch at the Seahorse. Good value set menu. Mind you a little bit of a trek from Sidmouth.

IIRC, around 70% of people in Sidmouth are retired and as @Thegreatroberto says, the town does lack excitement in many respects but that’s the charm of it for many (inc me).

The architecture is predominantly Regency although like many places now, developers are moving in and apartments are being built at the western end, plus the main retail thoroughfares are seeing more and more (branded) eateries and coffee shops established when history suggests many may not survive very long, as the off-season is quite long and operating costs quite high. There’s no Big-M (thankfully)! At the eastern end, the restauranteur Mitch Tonks is planning a quality fish restaurant in the old and not very pretty Drill Hall - it’ll be interesting to see how this gets on.

In the off-season, much of the town is shut by ~6-30pm and it doesn’t seem to wake up until 9am.

The plus sides for retirees is that it’s very much a pocket-town, with plentiful activities to partake in and/or watch (cricket/bowls/rugby/theatre to name some). I think many years ago it was ranked the 7th most expensive south coast place to retire to.

I’d suggest you get to the visitor centre which is (was) adjacent to one of the car parks behind the lifeboat station.

I’d also check how you can drop-off luggage etc, as being right on The Esplanade, stopping and unloading could be a challenge.

A room with a view :slightly_smiling_face:

Amazing non stop trip down, can use car park behind apartment (which is terrific), the nearest restaurant bar smells great and the sun is shining!

Brilliant

8 Likes

That’s Devon for you. :joy:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.