Signal ground connection (SN3 humming)

Thanks @Simon-in-Suffolk — I will have a go when I am back at home. Currently on parental duties — that is sitting in a “song room” waiting for the end of our son’s choir practice. If my memory is correct, you are rather fond of choral music, too…

When earthing the Hugo, can I also run a wire from the Hugo’s 3.5mm socket to a mains outlet? For a different “hummer” I have previously prepared a wire for this, and I am sure it’s still somewhere in my study…

Thanks!

1 Like

Absolutely… I think having been a chorister leaves an indelible mark on your senses… I find choral music some of the most moving and emotional music I listen to, and can move me to tears… there you go I am a big girl’s blouse… whoops I probably shouldn’t say that these days.

3 Likes

Yes… just be careful with mains plugs.

1 Like

Thanks — yes, very careful; nothing connected to what could cause smoke rather than cure any humming…

Absolutely, it is rather beautiful; and our son loves it. Probably a combination of nature and nurture… From the earliest age, he was exposed not only to music at home but also to some of the finest choral music in churches. Generally speaking, I am not the greatest fan of English classical music (with a few exceptions — running for cover) but the country’s contribution to choral music is extraordinary… And I am embarrassed to say that I only learned about this during my DPhil…

1 Like

Another thought, are you using RCA to RCA or RCA to Din cable? Would the earthing of the single end Din help?

RCA to DIN. No clue whether this makes a difference — it’s beyond my technical knowledge. :blush:

1 Like

Feels somewhat bodged but the hum has completely gone

5 Likes

Nice thanks for the pic.

2 Likes

It doesn’t need to look anymore sophisticated – well done!

Comparing the Hugo runing off the battery (your previous set-up) with the mains-connected Hugo and the newly earthed SN3, any difference in sound?

1 Like

I thought I’d identified and rectified the source of my SN3 hum (my Vertere phono stage which connects my LP12), but the grounding options on the Phono 1 don’t fully eliminate it. If the Vertere is powered down, the hum is gone completely so I presume this is the culprit. All other sources are non-Naim too, but they’re all fine.

Is it safe to simply try the same method as above and use a piece of copper wire to get rid of my phono stage specific hum?

1 Like

Don’t think so. I will try at length when I have some quiet time and let you know

1 Like

Yep I would think so, you can’t damage anything by trying, it will either go silent or hum worse.

2 Likes

It went silent, thankfully.

Thanks.

4 Likes

It is worth remembering the Hugo always runs of its battery… its whether the battery is being charged or not depends whether it’s plugged in…on the Hugo mk1 i could detect a an ever so slight difference… in the end i used an after market PSU for my Hugo mk1.

1 Like

You should try doing the same with your Dave, I’ve been told it’s a game changer :crazy_face:

Hugo 2 doesn’t completely in desktop mode, the below was written by Rob Watts over on the Head-Fi forum…

"So what I do when the charger is connected for more than 24 hours, and Hugo 2 is on, is to go into desktop mode. In this mode, the charger supplies current that matches the current needed for Hugo 2, current from the battery is only provided for dynamic current surges, so it’s effectively no longer in a charge discharge cycle. Secondly, when in desktop mode, the sustaining voltage is reduced to ensure maximum life. If you want to charge it to the max, ready for portable use, simply turn Hugo 2 off, when it will charge it to 100% and turn off the charger. The auto shutdown is disabled in desktop mode.

Thirdly, I made sure that Hugo 2 will function with no batteries connected at all, just the charger. So if you intend to use it as a desktop DAC, you do not need to worry about battery life."

1 Like

Thanks, it appears I was referring to the Hugo mk1 only.

1 Like

So I’ll be leaving my Hugo2 unplugged and have removed by earthing link above. For the sake of a little inconvenience I’m keeping my system as simple and clean as possible. It’s only a subtle change but I’m getting a slight harshness at the top end with them plugged in. I’m guessing earthing the ‘hum’ into the SN3 chassis is introducing noise somewhere along the line.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.