Signals 552/500 and Statement evening

Very happy with mine. Looks like at some point the 500 series will have a new relay design, just to make sure they do not get repeat problems. I think the relays are in the 552 aswell.

Thanks Richard. All I now need to do is a post without errors . . .

I think KJWest one in London have them on demo, if you are in town…think thats all though.

Blockquote

That’s a good point. I went to a factory tour with a listening session where they used the Focal Utopia. We could clearly hear the improvements as we moved up the range from 272 but I was underwhelmed when we reached the Statement amps and I couldn’t help feeling that the speakers weren’t really up to the task.

I think a number of us have listened to Focals at the factory and have been underwhelmed. A bit awkward as the Naim guys are between a rock and a hard place with the Focal situation.

2 Likes

I can’t see any mention of the source used in this demo ?

ND555 with 2X555PS.

I’m a bit confused. If the raspiness is usual and on the recording then if it melts away on the statement, is that necessarily an improvement?

Sorry not very good at explaining what i like, but to me his vocals had a clarity i had not heard before.

Naim ND555 with two of those itsy-bitsy PS 555 DR thingumies. Cabling was Super Lumina and even out kettle runs on PowerLine . . . Shelving, fraim

I guess what Analogmusic may have meant was was it a UnitiCore, a NAS, a Melco or … where the files were stored?
Best

David

It was the new 2 box Melco N10

Thanks in addition to the the ND555 with 2 PSU…

It would be useful to know if a Melco or a core was used with Steve Sells in the room !

Melco N10, 2 box system.

I just spoke with Naim and they confirmed it was a Uniti Core.

Was it the N10 on the Fraim rack or a Unity Core on the network?

One thing i was always curious about was the special ND555 for Roy George on retiring. I had wrongly assumed it might be slightly improved components. Steve Sells showed some pics of a specially printed back plate, not stickers. All the input/ outputs are labelled as colleagues names, such as Steve Sells is Spdif. There were some other inhouse Naim jokes instead of the usual stickers. A nice send off for Roy, and worth asking Steve if you bump into him.

According to Jason, Signals’ intention was initially to use the Melco but there was some kind of issue that mean’t Jason then asked Andy if he could switch to the Naim Core that Signals had running as a back up. As such, the demos were done with the Naim Core.

1 Like

Thank you.

Was the S1 presenting a significant bigger soundstage compared to the 552 ?

Fair enough Richard, i just assumed as the. Melco was lit up as if it was in use, no Core. But with networks, it could be anywhere. Do thanks for checking.