Significant "unsolicited" volume level increase causes?

Ah ok. Sorry. Not a normal collet knob then. I will stop offering advice on something I don’t own!
Best

David

We’ve had our fill of 2020 knob threads, thankyouverymuch.

1 Like

:flushed:

Hi Guys,

552 knob tightening does require the cover to be removed, a 19mm (I think) open ended spanner & some rubber gloves.
The nut on the rear of the knob is on a tapered thread that compresses a nylon sleeve against the shaft of the pot. Trick is to hold the knob stationary with a gloved hand & turn the nut clockwise (looking from the rear of the knob).
If you wish to attempt this, be very careful removing the cover with regard to the suspension plates. But the real risk is putting unnecessary lateral stress on the pot shaft - not only will this threaten the integrity of the pot, there is a very real risk of damaging the knob against the fascia.
If you are in any doubt at all regarding the process, please bite the bullet & leave it to somebody who has previous experience!

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Hi Thanks a lot for all the advice. Is there any downside of continuing to use it like currently? Indeed I would prefer not to open the nac552 myself. Once the issue is known and understood, it really is not an issue for daily use. I guess it can wait for the 10 year revision?

The remote is your friend I think. I presume you’ve run out of warranty.

Yeti you are very right, I usually never use the remote for the volume (and I have quite a few). I always get a feeling that the physical action of turning up or down the knob is more accurate. Regarding the nac552 yes it is quite old, but was revised some 7 years ago…not sure what the warranty provisions are?

not that long.

Your dealer can’t do it?

You just need to make sure that the knob and pot stay relatively in sync, otherwise you risk stretching the wires for the LED indicator.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

My dealer would do it free of charge in a heart beat, 10 minute job.

1 Like

Yes, as NeilS says, be careful with the LED wires, which are carefully wrapped around the shaft. If they get stretched then they can easily bind up on the shaft and either get damaged or else labour the pot motor which could cause problems.

Ok it all still holds pretty well together. It just happened becasue I inadvertently maybe brought down the volume too strongly once. So now that I know I use feather touch and should be ok.

Agreed but honestly zero inconvenience now that I understand what has happened…so I would rather group it with the next maintenance

1 Like

:rofl:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.