Simple streaming setup

Thanks for the note. I have a hard time demoing product and need to trust the forum or the dealer. A new DAC may be easier.

Sucks I know. But you can’t surf near here either and we make it work.

Hi, @Skip. Good luck to find the Meridian Explorer v1!

I have read that optical may be limited compared to copper SPDIF. Despite this, I find my Mac Mini with Audirvana via Meridian + Wireworld optical competes favorably with my NDX-FM, both into the nDAC/555DR. These sources trade subtle merits with a CD555 and RP10 Superline Supercap.

All of these sources have strengths in my system. I admit I am generally pleased with nearly everything I have hooked up, exceptions being Sonos, and Oppo BDP-95, which were comparatively unengaging.

Nick

1 Like

Is Twonky software that uses lots of cheap NAS, like Western Digital My Cloud, is good software or is it the poorest?

Twonky is pre-installed on some NAS, including WD. It’s been around for a long time, and some people like it, but the consensus among Naim users here appears to be that it’s not very good.

I’ve worked with Twonky on a friends QNAP, its all a few years old & I believe it came with the software reinstalled. It was recommended by the Linn dealer when he bought the streamer, seems it is (was) a Linn favourite.
It’s not easy to work with & doesn’t seem to have the browsing abilities of Asset & Minimserver.

I have a line on a UnitiQute2b which I may try to repurpose as a streamer, ie line out into the 552. I like that it can use the same UPNP setup as I am already using with the MuSo to stream the hard drive, and it has FM radio.

Can this work via line out as a streamer? Is there a way to send ripped music directly from the MacBookPro to the UQ2b? That would make it complete.

A Unitiqute would work, but remember that it has a pre out, not a line out, so you are going through two preamps, one of which might just be a little bit better than the other! Also, it’s not the ideal thing to use with a Mac as an input. A V1 DAC would be better in that role, with USB input (or optical if you prefer, if your Mac has it.)
If you just want to use the Mac for locally stored music, run a UPnP server on it and let the UQ find it on your network, which could work well apart from the pre out/line out issue.

1 Like

At your level of replay I wouldn’t bother with a UQ as a standalone streamer. Tried that and the likes of a used $300 Sonore microRendu with a good power supply is much better. That said, the UQ is still a wonderful all-in-one and plays daily in my office (fed Roon via the microRendu upstairs).

If I had to do it all over again, and $ was no object, I would probably go for the likes of either an Innuos Zenith, or the Sonore Signature opticalRendu. Unless you’re married to the Naim app, then plenty of streaming options out there that are more affordable than Naim (and some would say better).

2 Likes

The UQ does have a digital output (BNC SPDIF), which you would use if going to another DAC, thereby bypassing the preamp in the UQ.

1 Like

@Skip, You could use unity-gain on the 552 to eliminate the double-pre issue. Then, for UQ2 you would adjust the volume on the UQ2 itself, rather than in the 552. Setting up remotes will require care, to keep things straight. Using digital out through a DAC might be easier to live with. I would prefer to use an ND5XS-FM or an NDX-FM into the 552, because of system automation.

I love my UQ2 as an end-point in my office. As an occasional streamer into another system, it is sub-optimal, IMHO, but it could get you by for a while.

Nick

1 Like

Ordered a Qutest and I may be closer on a UQ2b.

1 Like

If you set up Audirvana on a Mac Mini it is even simpler if its hard disk or SSD is big enough: simply load the music into the Mac and not bother with a NAS. If the collection is too big, an additional drive could be connected (ideally using the Mac’s proprietary Thunderbolt expansion connector, but USB also usable). That way a separat NAS isn’t needed - though some means of backup should be considered essential, which could be to a NAS, or preferably a disconnectable drive instead or as well.

Also needed may be a monitor and keyboard for initial setting up, thereafter remote control software such as VNC (free) to control it from a tablet or smartphone, while music is easiest played with the Audirvana app on said tablet or phone. If the USB DAC doesn’t have good RF isolation you it may need an isolator in between (Chord Hugo famously os one such, because it doesn’t have galvanic isolation on its electrical inputs), but I think Qutest is fine on that score.

1 Like

A 2 bay NAS has the advantage of being able to provide protection against ransomware viruses.

1 Like

I am trialling Roon Core running on my MacBook Air (i5, 8GB memory, 256 GB SSD) into a later generation Naim ND5XS2 and MusoQb2 as the Roon end-points.

The i5 processor is powerful enough to support upscaling and a 2 room multiroom Roon setup. Sources are a Melco library (FLAC and WAV files - similar role to a NAS with UPnP), Tidal and Internet Radio (esp Radio Paradise’ FLAC stream). Sounds good to me over the household LAN.

My own Chord DAC supports a USB input e.g. direct from the laptop or Melco, as does your Qutest, but I prefer the network connections, for convenience and consistency via the streamer, and SPDIF from the streamer into the DAC. Your NAS or an attached USB drive is a reasonable source to start with.

There are plenty of streamers/bridges now that support such an architecture for a reasonable cost for a trial before the inevitable upgrade(s).

Qutest is in the building! Using Chord Shawline USB and RCA interconnect to 552. Just out of the box, sounds great. Much better than the Halide or Meridian I had.

My MacBook Pro is aging but works well with Audirvana Plus. I see a new Audirvana out. Has anybody compared the two? The Plus seems a little balky, asking for a system optimizer but won’t let me install it.

Mid 2014 MacBook Pro running MacOS Catalina 10.15.

Do I need to make the Audirvana upgrade a priority?

For Catalina I think you might need the latest version.

Got Catalina, new Aurdirvana, Qutest, and Chord Shawline. All in the same weekend and pretty easy to set up after a boneheaded bottleneck on my end. Hat tip to AVO for the help. Sounding pretty good after 4 days of break-in. Nice upgrade from the Halide and Meridian DAC’s I have been using. Qutest has a lot of flexibility, soundstage, nice highs, and good bass so far.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.