Simpli-Fi - A journey towards simplicity

Always a compromise, you’ve got a system many would only ever dream of owning and enjoying in their own space, regardless of size!

1 Like

I hope you will continue to report here. I am still exploring.

Lately I have been experimenting mini-monitors (I happily used LS3/5a for almost ten years on both 250 and 135s). And compact power-amps within the DSM/Melco 35cn x 37cm form factor (Lejonklou and Klimax Twin). Having two speaker positions and lifting the speakers closer to the listening position for serious music listening is an effective way of reducing the room effects. Combined with using DSM Space Optimisation to reduce the effects (like masking bands in the midrange) of LF room-modes.

1 Like

What’s your thoughts on the Klimax Twin out of interest?

If you like the Linn-story on tunefullness and timing (rather than PRaT) it is an excellent amp with no harshness, wide soundstage and very transparent. It does not have the “happy” Naim-sound so it is not a replacement in a Naim-system. I think a 300DR is a fair comparison with almost the same price, the choice is a matter of form-factor and Tune-dem or PRaT.

I listen to a lot of modern art music (like Webern, Xenakis, Stockhausen) and electronica and the Klimax Twin turned out to really shine here making sense of complex harmonies and rythms.

1 Like

With their very own ‘star in the east’.

G

1 Like

I found, on ‘simplifying’ the box count some years back that I can’t cope with simplifying what I expect to hear on replay. I’d sooner find a way to simplify the housing of my (now 7 box) system and enjoy it.

All judiciously bought price-wise so if I pop my clogs tomorrow Mrs H knows where to take it to get a decent return.

I fully understand the motivations to simplify and respect the decisions of others to do so, but having tried, I can’t.

G

1 Like

What I like about the option of a Streaming DAC with an integrated good quality Preamp is the complete freedom and flexibility to use active speakers, an integrated, or a power amp all the same, and these not even having to be visible (as everything is operated from the DAC) while keeping all speakers options open.
I’ve come down from 5-6 boxes, half of which power supplies to never needing more than 2 - and I am keeping the Nait visible only because it’s pure crime to have such a beautiful thing hidden.
… Takes some years to arrive though

I am curious on your listening impressions. To follow then.

Interesting PeakMan. I also was tempted last year to go the Linn route with an Akurate DSM/3 with Katalyst DACs. I found it excellent directly into the 300 and 252/300. That said with the lack of a credible trade in for all my Naim boxes, I did not explore further. In the end i got the Naim kit serviced and bought an Auralic Altair G1 based on recommendation. I must say that I’m very pleased with it and a convenient way of transporting music between two systems. I still have a lot of boxes though :slightly_frowning_face:

It also seemed a possible option to incorporate the home cinema part by using the Linn exactbox-I, but before exploring that I already decided not to go any further.

I’m sure the new DAC has brought it to another level

The Dutch and Dutch 8c are highly regarded Active speaker. Maybe worth giving them a demo.

Absolutely, it’s an itch to scratch, worst case it’s a bit of fun window shopping and I can share my findings here for others benefit. Pretty much all of the things I’ve an interest in hearing are close to home and accessible so the biggest burden is finding enough free time to nip out between work demands to try things out.

1 Like

Indeed so, on the list, a little further from home but accessible none the less.

I’ve been inclined to add the Atom HE to my list as well, based mainly on price point and I already have an Atom on my lounge TV, it’s also compact and easy to integrate discreetly, it also lacks any PSU whistles and bells to put a stop to boxes giving birth to more boxes.

That’s why I bought it. Peace of mind. Just fling the thing on a cupboard, configure Qobuz and voila, goodbye upgraditis.

(Oh I could do with a better poweramp, but I’ll try the nap 200 service first this autumn).

So you are using it (Atom HE) with a NAP 200 and passive speakers by the sounds of it?

Indeed. SBLs.

1 Like

Not sure if they’re on list but I’d like to hear DCS Bartok and ATC actives maybe just outside £20k budget but is fairly simple so on brief. Enjoy.

1 Like

DCS make wonderful hardware for sure, no harm having a listen, might flex the budget slightly :relaxed:
Cheaper than a KDSM3 on a positive note.

There is an ex dem model of the latest Klimax for sale at £21,000, which is a very good reduction on the £30,000 list price for someone.

I know, I was looking at it earlier today (on the Web not in the flesh alas) :wink: