Single Static IP address?

Hi

Forgive me if this has been covered in the past but I currently have business broadband(Demon via Vodaphone) with a single static IP address, shortly they will be ceasing offering the Demon service so I need to switch to another provider.

I don’t really want another business service as it’s quite bit more expensive and I may be retiring my business activities in the nearish future, but domestic broadband services don’t appear to offer a static IP.

As I’m not going to host a website or do anything special I’ve almost concluded that I don’t need the static IP, but thought I’d ask here before I sign up.

So any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

Chris

With domestic networks there is no need for static IP address. DHCP is designed to manage home & small business IP addresses & it does that extreamly well.

1 Like

Thanks Mike, that gives me a lot of options then!

Chris

Agreed, just let DHCP handle it.

I was visiting old school friends yesterday and this topic came up. So today I checked my network settings. I have run an Apple WiFi network along side my wired internet network for five years but I only realised yesterday that I had not “disabled” my 3x AirPort Extreme dhcp capability when I had fibre broadband installed. Anyway I hope now my WiFi won’t be so flakey…

Oops! Yes, you only want one DHCP server running, or chaos is likely to ensue.

1 Like

I was with exactly the same Provider as you with a Static IP for many years and switched 8 months ago to another Provider without a static IP - it is not a problem.

As has been already said, your actual IP address is aliased in various ways so that you do not require a static IP for any domestic consumer purpose.

DB.

It wont make my difference to what your doing. My provider uses DHCP but has had the same IP for years, even after reboots.

Camphuw

I have an Apple Time Capsule(circa 2010) and an Airport Express providing wifi in the house and intend to go fibre with the new provider so do I have to disable something in the Airport settings when I do? I was going to keep my Draytek modem which is fibre compatible and the TC rather than use the new providers router to start with simply because it does perform pretty well, rather the devil you know etc etc? I have no experience with other routers although I understand that the BT Hub is very good, I’m looking at Vodaphone also as they have a very good deal for fibre and they are essentially my current provider but under the Demon banner, don’t know what their router is like though.

Chris

I use an Airport Extreme and an Express to run my wired and wireless LAN, but still use the ISP supplied router as the DHCP server, with its WiFi disabled and all connections through the AE. I have swapped router, and even changed ISP, and my LAN keeps working regardless. As the AE is connected to the router via copper Ethernet, I don’t think swapping to a fibre broadband service is going to make any difference.

1 Like

Same here. Never asked for a static IP but it hasn’t changed since lord knows when - over 10 years at least (2 jobs ago).

ChrisG isn’t asking about static IP on his LAN but about static IP on the WAN (i.e. the internet), so DHCPis irrelevant.

However as you’re not hosting anything then a static internet IP address has no advantage (and even if you are exposing services from your internal network / home computer(s), your ISPs dynamic DNS will still allow you to connect to them by name).

1 Like

whoops … I’ll get me coat

Thanks to everyone for their input, you’ve answered the question …all I have to do now is pick a reliable ISP!

Best

Chris

Hi Chris I’m just recreating the steps I took yesterday, and of course I can’t …
It’s straight forward.
Open airport utility
click on Airport device logo
Enter password
So if I recall … Go into network and change the IP address to that of the router.
I hope someone can be more helpful Chris …
Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for the info, I had a look at my Airport utility and my TC has a LAN IP Address of: 10.0.1.1 and an IP Address: 62-49-3-22 this is connected to my Draytek modem.
The Airport Express is used solely to extend the wifi coverage like a mesh system it is not connected via ethernet only into a mains socket where the coverage is poor and has an IP Address : 10.0.1.193

Does this look OK, it means very little to me!

Thanks
Chris

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.