Sitting/standing desks

Thanks for the tip - that might necessitate finding a store where different sizes are in stock or at least knowledgable sales staff, unless of course there’s a guide on the website.

Not sure if we are allowed to post links but, if you Google “Herman miller aeron set up guide” and “Herman miller aeron size guide”, I think you will find what you need.

2 Likes

I think Stokke has split out chairs as Varier Balans so you should look for those - obviously other brands are availble :wink:

I’ve had three different ones. The Wing Balans being by far the best (adjustable height and spins round), then Variable Balans and least good the Multi Balans. All bought from from a well known auction site rather than new.

The IKEA Bekant desk is really very stable. I have a plain rectangular tdesk with three monitors running accross the entire width and have my PC suspended underneath. The desk will rock slightly as you push as it has, in effect, only two legs. In practice this is not noticable. A visit to IKEA and a bit of a prod and play should reassure.

/dl

1 Like

Thanks again. Found the sizing chart based on weight/height.

Each Aeron chair has a number of tangible convex dots that you can feel under the top centre of the backrest.

The number of dots tells you what size it is.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat. Work has been extraordinary for 8 months now and I’ve had a few days where I’ve been so consumed/lost in it that I’ve sat there all day and clearly triggered my referred pain and then the real thing.

I think it’s about having the discipline to accept that other routines are available and different choices can be made. I walk for an hour (4 miles plus) and start work at home after a shower somewhere between 9:00am and 10am. I break at 11 for elevenses with the family. That forces a break for 15 and involves a complete change of location, pace and focus.

It’s harder for me to break pm but ultimately it’s on me if I don’t.

2 Likes

I like the Miller as well as the Stokke/Varier chairs. The big advantage of the latter is that you can move around. The Duo chair (no longer made and requiring quite a lot of apace) was excellent for that.

The advantage of an adjustable standing desk is the same: you don’t lock yourself in one “perfect” position. Bunging a stepper underneath for some time can also work well.

I can recommend “I want a standing desk” online. They’re very helpful and their products are well made and good value. Their manually adjustable desk (using a crank handle) actually aids precision while also of course meaning their are no leads to plug in or motors to maintain or potentially go wrong. I’ve had mine for over 6 years’ trouble-free use.

The Stokke/Varier chairs, on the other hand, mostly have no moving parts and only require occasional new cushion covers.

2 Likes

Most office refurb’s in Sydney (well until covid anyway) we’re replacing standard fixed desks for fancy heigh adjustable types.

I’m thinking of getting one for my home office.

2 Likes

I have a powered adjustable desk and absolutely love it. Here are some details about mine that might help your shopping in terms of features you might want.

Mine goes from 67cm to 123cm, almost 60kg hence pretty sturdy. Motor is strong and smooth. There’s optional cable management tray. No modesty panel which was exactly what I wanted because I had a thought of putting a set of drawers underneath.

It claims to have auto stop when it hits an obstruction but it doesn’t work. It’s this fault that I discovered how strong the motor is. It would lift the whole desk. Tried it in the shop and noted the same fault so I concluded it is just not meant to be. It has four memories settings.

Top is commercial 25mm thick scratch resistant melamine laminate with 2mm ABS edging covering the E0 particle board inside.

3 Likes

What is it, and what’s a modesty panel? Do I need one if working in my underpants and T-Shirt at home? :grin:

Some do need the modesty panel to add structural integrity to the legs. Mine doesn’t need it. Some good ones have two motors. Mine has one but lifts table on both sides. Smooth motor is good. You don’t want it rock until things fall over or spill coffee.

Thanks, any recommendations or suggestions? I think for me stability of the desk would be very important.

I bought mine from officeworks and the brand is called stilford which is an officeworks brand. Not sure if that brand exists where you are hence I try to give you all the points that you might want to consider.

1 Like

Thanks.

Following the discussion here I bought an Eiger standing Pro desk. It arrived yesterday and I’ve trying out various configurations. In the photo it’s sits at the angle between the walls.
As an aside, the desk it sits upon is made from oak trestles with an unused door from the cottage refurbishment a decade ago. It’s a bit narrow but suffices. Now with the standing desk I can use the Balans standing stool and stand, which relieves the pressure on the femoral triangle.

2 Likes

Interesting design - presumably not one you’d adjust heights often?

Actually @Alley_Cat it only takes a few moments to change levels. For me the screen also moves vertically so I only need to change the keyboard slot.
My fear is that I now have extra surfaces to clutter up. I declutter a couple of times a year - it’s that time of year again!

1 Like

Thanks, so to change levels do you take the monitor off?

I think in my case my work monitor is huge and maybe 20kg so it might be tricky to move even if the monitor shelf would support it.

I effectively use 3 monitors for work, laptop and 2 x 1536x2048 panels in a single Eizo enclosure.

It throws up another issue - when we got our homeworking kit I really wanted a desktop and large monitor instead of the laptop and additional heavy one. Others disagreed as they wanted laptops. The problem I have is my vision, I can see text on the large double monior straight in front of me but the docked laptop to the left despite a 1080p screen is very hard to read text without craning or wearing partially corective specs.

1 Like

The top shelf is meant to be for two monitors. Standing brings me closer to the monitor, which is a help.
Yes, my monitor is not too heavy so easy to move to the side.
My eyesight is failing and my varifocal specs are not up to the job, but I was hoping to get another year out of them.

1 Like

Being of above average stature I need a desk that’s got sufficient clearance for my knees. Too much of a cheapskate to go for anything sophisticated…

Willy.

4 Likes