Skiing

Ok it seems re relational skiing will be limited this winter, however, the biathlon season has started. If you have not discovered this combination of cross country skiing and shooting I recommend it. It is thrilling, not just because of the quality of skiing, but the overall fitness with the pressure of knocking down such small targets is awesome.

But the main thrill comes with the downhill, mind you slalom is a different skill set.

1 Like

Oh how I love biathlon. As an ex-skier due to crumbling knees, I know how much fitness is required to ski your heart out and then recover enough, and quickly, to hit those small targets, then go and ski your heart out again. I love watching it and even that makes my thighs burn. I do miss skiing!

3 Likes

I love downhill skiing, but cross country is toomuch like hard work! I haven’t done any since a knee injury about 4 years ago, and long to get back to it - unfortunately as a holiday it is expensive, a week costing about the same as a fortnight somewhere warm with snorkelling, and my wife prefers warmth so skiing less frequent!

1 Like

Yes. Will be interesting to see what options are available this year.

A big number of operators have pulled out of resorts this year, and whilst skiing is clearly outside and safe, its the bars , restaurants and mini bus rides that are probably the issue. Last season’s impact on the spread of Covid can’t be ignored (me being one of the people who probably got it on a ski trip ).

1 Like

And the travel there and back, and the restrictions on travel and/or the 14 day isolation on return op(or risk of it), and the limitations of travel insurance, and people’s fear of becoming ill with the virus in a foreign country…

3 Likes

I’m an avid downhill skier - putting the rack on the care today as we’re supposedly getting an early opener. For us, it’s a forty minute drive to the slopes, no mini busses, restaurants, or bars need be involved. Will be interesting to see how it all works out. I’m fortunate in that I can do most of my skiing mid-week, and hopefully can get the kids up afternoons after their zoom classes vs weekends. Weekends have always been a nightmare at the ski area, pandemic or not, though they are putting in sales limits etc this year (we all have season passes).

I will still feel somewhat guilty about even participating this year though - it’s hard to get one’s mojo on when the world is falling apart around you.

1 Like

There is nothing to feel guilty about grabbing whatever enjoyment you can during these difficult times. I thought it was awful back in the summer when people in the UK were being criticised or prevented from doing things like walking in the country, which appeared to me to be purely to prevent some people gaining enjoyment.

2 Likes

5 minutes to my closest lift. 20 mins to my regular spot. Us “locals” are often quick to bemoan the tourists when snow is fresh but we also recognise the only reason the resorts exist is because of the tourists. Last year things just shut down so nobody got to enjoy the mountain but it will be strange this year with things operating under restrictions.

3 Likes

Our trip to Colorado at Easter obviously evaporated, but thankfully the relevant parties were happy to bump us by 12 months so we’re hoping to be able to go in the spring.

Deeply envious of people who live a short drive from their nearest piste…

Mark

1 Like

The only skiing we’ll be do is spending the kids inheritance. :grin:

1 Like

Well, this summer, thought I would take the opportunity of getting a bargain “off season” and bought a new pair of ski boots.
Now can’t wait for the chance to get some use out of them.
Spending a grand for boots to just sit in the wardrobe is tough.

1 Like

I always struggled with boots as I have pretty wide feet and even in the early days of custom fitting I never really got a pair to fit properly. Then I splurged on this amazing pair of Raichle’s which fit perfectly. Bliss! Made such a difference to my ski-ing days.
Not been for about 12 years though, like others, shot knees and the expense of what would then be a five person trip put paid to that.

2 Likes

Yes Jamie, ski boots are literally a pain.
Good boots really do make all the difference.
That’s why I bought the new boots.
I went for Apex boots, which are a different style. They are like snow board style boots that then fit into separate bindings.

I bought a new snowboard last year with the intention to pick up yearly skitrips again after a few years hiatus. We went to Granada (Spain) last February, just before the pandemic hit Europe, and really enjoyed it there. Would’ve loved to go back this spring, but unfortunately that’s not going to happen…

Here’s to 2022! :snowboarder:

1 Like

It’s great being on the mountaintops.

Really do feel like you are on the roof of the world.

Great views and pure clean air.

Best holidays ever

1 Like

1 Like

One trip booked for mid March. Hopeful that uk will be allowed to enter other countries by then.

On ski boots. My view is to buy cheap boots and add in nice custom-fit inserts. For my standard of skiing ( 2 hours skiing 4 hours lunch) they are perfect :ski: :ski: :ski:

2 Likes

CBR: Are you out skiing at the moment? If so. Where ?

Sadly no.
I was booked for a trip to Switzerland last March, which sadly fell away for covid.
Hoping that I will get away this coming March if vaccines get well used.
Usually ski in 3 valleys or austria or switzerland.