SL2 crossovers

You might want to take a look at the Sean Jacobs (Custom HiFi Cables) passive crossovers.

A secondhand pair of Naim paxo crossovers would cost you between £150 - £300 and the Sean Jacobs are around £700 - £800 all in and you need to order the components yourself from a list provided and find someone to solder/fix the components onto the PCB.

There is little difference between the components used in the SBL and SL2 crossover and Sean recommends that only one component could/might be changed to your taste.

As Richard has pointed out you may find that you prefer them to Naim Paxo’s and you might not.

3 Likes

Naim paxo’s

55ef2d4f7cc57ea9ac9e07c7cddf3ae32e157481_2_375x500

2 Likes

Sean Jacobs DBL passive crossovers.

1 Like

Just to check; are OEM SBL and SL2 PXOs interchangeable?

Bruce

Not sure I want to know if there’s also an umbrella stand…

It’s ok. There isn’t.

:rofl:

Thank you, David, that’s exactly what I was remembering. I find it rather disturbing, and I wouldn’t give it houseroom.

Another reason you wouldn’t give it house room is that the last time a set of the three came up for sale at Christie’s in 2013, they sold for £2.2M (according to Wikipedia).

Hello, David, I wouldn’t fritter away any part of my vast fortune on such tat (‘a’ not ‘i’)!

1 Like

No accounting for taste :wink:

Not being provocative but I’m interested in what you think the weaknesses of SL2, even in the best room where they seem to shine. They have been with me in two places now with the same system since 2004 and both rooms had pluses and minuses. Here’s hoping the third room will be the right one

Yes

TBH i can’t hear any difference between them with my SBLs
However they do look very different:

2 Likes

Fixings are different but I think the electronics are the same.

Bruce

There seems to be an age old consensus of opinion that PXOs are better when not screwed to the rear of cabinet, and simply left to dangle on the rigidity of the naca.

1 Like

I thought it was screwed on but not tight enough to compress the rubber grommets?

One of those things I’ve never got round to testing.

That’s the official way of fixing them, but the philosophy of dangling free PXOs is same as with cable dressing; the naca is easily strong and rigid enough to hold the weight of a PXO and to let it dangle free without interference from either the cabinet or the wall.

Do old Paxos need a recap??

If so what is the recommended time frame?

FF

I didn’t get my PXOs serviced, simply bought new, it was a few years ago when they were available. If they’ve no longer available brand new enquire if they can be serviced at Class A Sheffield, or Naim HQ Salisbury.

The original PXOs on my SBLs sounded steely and thin when 19 years old.

2 Likes

Interesting. As far as I understand the crossovers are not serviceable.

A Google search for “ New SBL crossovers not sounding too good…?” came up with some information.

So far this is the only bit of my kit that has not been serviced.