SL2 - good offer but custom finish

I don’t know much about speakers, but I wouldn’t put anything on my son’s cello. I was told the wrong polish can spoil the sound of the poor thing… But it does need a good “clean” — so it will soon go to a luthier.

Okay — someone was faster than me… :relaxed:

1 Like

Only you know how you will feel… but there has been a bit of over interpreting or misreading lately on the thread: thick multilayer piano black finishing is not in the same surface treatment category as paint.

From what I read in this forum, almost all of these SL2 speakers are mostly labour-of-love projects as they are all aging and not always gracefully. If the price is really right, and this is where your heart is, maybe you should think about going for it and hearing for yourself. In the event that you are unhappy, and in the self-knowing state that your first thought would be to blame the paint - however unlikely and remote that possibility may be - then your labour of love might be stripping and refinishing… which is a totally doable project either diy if that floats your boat, or with help from any number of wood and furniture restoration experts.

If any of my comments put you off, please accept my apologies. I was specifically talking about why a thick poly finish, as for piano black, could sound different (as @Richard.Dane recalled from the design and production days). It is way less likely for thin paint to have such an effect, and that’s a reversible modification if you feel the desire.

Best wishes for good listening no matter what you decide!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.