SL2 owners: re. foam

Hi Jim,

I’m struggling to think how better to describe it.

I’ll try to knock up some sort of crude diagram later on when I’ve got a bit more time.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Thank you so much for all your help, Neil.

Sorry to add to your workload.

All the best
Jim

Ah - now I see that you are all talking about the tweeter cabinet foam & I didn’t read the whole thread!

Tweeter foam is 25mm thick and there are 2 per cabinet.

Apologies
Neil.

1 Like

Thank you again, Neil.

Apologies for not asking you a clear question on my part.

All the best
Jim

I am just astonished at what a difference the Wilmslow foam has made. If I hadn’t chanced upon the DBL thread, I’d never have checked the foam in the tweeter cabinet. Listening to the Proms last night, the clarity and feeling of ‘being there’ was astonishing. As somebody above has said, almost spiritual. It’s great that with a little love and attention we can keep these wonderful speakers performing for years.

2 Likes

Another worthwhile tweak for aging SL2s is replacing the spacers that sit on the pins between the upper and lower cabinets. In my case, the tiny bumps that provide the air gap had completely flattened. Got the official part through Chris West at AV Options; I believe TomTom also sells them.

1 Like

Folks, apparently SL2 drivers are no longer available. In thinking about replacement options (should the need arise), is it true that SL2s use the same drivers as SBLs and Credos?

@Richard.Dane @NeilS ?

1 Like

I’m pretty certain that they’re the same as later SBL ones. And yes, replacing the pin spacers at intervals is important. Good that dealers like Tom Tom still have them. Worth getting in a few as spares.

I agree - it’s made a big difference to the SQ of mine too.

Funnily enough, I’m going to the Proms on Saturday night with my 9 year old son to see Vikingur Olafsson play Bach et al (will be on BBC4 on Sunday evening).

Yes, I got some of these from Signals - who I think may still have some in stock.

Yes, the mid/bass drivers are essentially the same, however, on SBLs and SL2s they were selected and matched, whereas, IIRC, on Credos and Allaes they were not.

Poor Jim, you will have to replace the foam, the tweeters, the spacers, ….and don’t know what other parts still. It will cost you more than the second hand SL2 you bought.
:woozy_face::chicken:
Just kidding

Actually, brilliant value, and enjoyable to do it too!

2 Likes

It’s a time investment much more than a financial investment. I already replaced my tweeters. Will replace the foam. At that point will have less money into them than a pair of Rega RX5s. On the other hand if the drivers go off then it’s potentially a total loss…

I think the main drivers are bullet proof look how many SBLS are still out there

1 Like

Fingers crossed!

I was more kidding….

1 Like

So 3x12.5 80ppi inside the enclosure of the mid bass box.
If the tweeter foam has had it then would of the enclosure be shagged as well???
@NeilS is the inch thick tweeter foam is still 80ppi as is the mid bass box? Thanks

Yes - same spec.

If one lot is degrading, then it’s a safe bet it is all in a similar state.

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

Thank you Neil.
Using the wide lens on my iPhone I manage to get in behind the speaker. Seems to be all good atm. These are a 08 build, in fact the very first set ever sold from the old “pure hifi” store in Christchurch NZ. 13 years old and still going strong! The multicore Crystal 505 solder is on its way from Sydney, so I may be doing the tweeter replacements in the near future. As Jim says it is fun.
Since I’ve upgraded my cart the SL2 are giving much more, having friends who run speakers like sopra 2, 801 nautilus (really good at 400 watts RMS), another mate has some very highly priced Sonus Faber katima but prefers the Cremona M on his 500 system.
I’ve have come to realise that the SL2 aren’t the be all to end all as I once thought but a very very well priced second hand speaker that was once made with real passion so Naim could bring great/fantastic quality audio to every day people who live in every day houses. They can/do bring a big system sound from a small enclosure, however to get it out of them I feel they really do need to be powered with some real curry . I sometimes feel the 135’s barely scrape the surface at times or is it knowing the SL2 can do better with a more powerful amp?? Oh I wish I had a Nap500! My friend tells me I should let him bring over a set of SBL speakers for the 135 amps but I say bring the 500 over mate!
Jim dog while I’m sure the 150x is great but powering the SL2?? Or have I got it wrong?
Nap500+SL2= Slam factor
End of rant :pensive:

1 Like