SL2 setup for best bass extension

It also helps to use a good quality Allen key to prevent rounding out the head of the bolt.

To stop the tweeter unit arms raising out of the semicircular cutout, pull it down with one arm while tightening the Allen bolt with the other hand. I used an extension on my Allen key in order to get the tightness.

I’m not blowing Richard’s trumpet here, but his setup instructions in the FAQs are brilliant. If followed to the letter, slowly and carefully, you’ll get a perfectly set up pair of speakers. It’s not hard, and nobody should be frightened of doing it, but it takes care and a bit of effort to get it right.

5 Likes

If my humble Arivas are sensitive to attention to detail and positioning, presumably the SL2s are much more so. So, in addition to the excellent advice you have received from expert owners, I would add suggestions that were given to me here, and they made the difference. Meanwhile, the photo of the room (explains a lot…). The space between the speakers is occupied by bulky and very advanced elements that could create undesirable results. They limit the possibility of maneuvering to optimize the distance between the speaker and the side wall which (for Ariva) is critical. If necessary, tighten the woofer screws. Again the tips were screwed into the pedestal to have the minimum possible distance from the floor (in my case marble). Trying to make the SL2 sway you should not feel minimal oscillations but a particularly solid anchoring to the floor (try placing them on 2 heavy pieces of marble/granite). Remove carpets or anything else under the tips. These changes (experienced for over 6 months, in my environment and that of a friend…) were decisive for an excellent result.

1 Like

Hi Bruce check your cables that connect the bass unit and tweeter are not impeding free movement of the cabinet (and also the tweeter arm assembly) I had this before and cured it by re-dressing the cables slightly.

Best wishes.

Thanks. I have had a good tighten up of everything and found exactly what you describe. The A5 twisted a bit at the back and was preventing as much movement that side.

They sound the same but it is neater anyway.

Bruce

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.