SL2 solder

At a guess I would imagine the upper bottom end bleeds into the tweeter range. So I’m thinking a fresh set of tweeters after 10 years even though the original ones are absolutely fine, should be interesting

Have checked to see if the bass driver bolts are properly torqued up?

I did mine recently (the speakers were bought used 9 years ago), and it’s made a big difference.

Hi Rackit, yes sure is, that’s gets done every 6 months as are the face plates.

1 Like

May I ask how much they cost from Naim? Thanks.

Hi Nigel,
This is not from Naim directly but from a UK dealer.

Tweeter = £157.60 GBP Each
Bass/Mid = £289.50 GBP Each

Thanks. It may be worth spending the £314 while they still have them.

1 Like

Absolutely. They are matched and ready to go, Naim even include the hylomar blue in a syringe, don’t ask me how that got through customs :dizzy_face:Tweeter screws for mounting the tweeter onto the arm is .85 Nm or finger tight and a wee bit is ok too, don’t over tighten as it can buckle the tweeter diaphragm. Try and find a reliable torque wrench under a months wages for that. You should use a Quality electronic hot glue for sealing over the soldered tweeter connection or wait for it… you can also use fish tank silicon. As I said if you do this your self you MUST be very care not to over heat the tweeter soldering posts, a heat sink/small clamp on the little posts to help remove the heat from the coil may be something to consider.
Yes and the Crystal 505 60/40 solder.
All what I have given here is information that either Naim Audio have inform me or the very experienced dealer has told me. If you are in the UK I’d pay extra to get the dealer or Naim to do it myself.

I’m gonna throw my 2 pence in the ring. I think replacing the tweeters is a bad idea. You speakers won’t sound the same. You may like it, you may not. But you do like them now. Anyway just my opinion, it’s free…

That’s what I’ve been told by friends, I guess if I don’t like the change (if any) I’ll put the old ones back in👍
Really at the end of the day they were bought as replacements when needed. But curiosity has gotten the better of me. Famous last words I know.

You won’t really notice a difference. Unless they’re broken, speakers in general don’t need servicing and yes this is what Naim advised me long ago when I was thinking of changing the tweeters on my Credos…

1 Like

Thanks Steve, will report once done probably in a month or so.

1 Like

Buying them from Naim they will come properly selected and matched, so they should sound just like new ones.

There was a big discussion on this on the old Forum with many converts to the new tweeter cause. Unless you try it I guess you will never know. I have two pairs of SBLs here from 1989 and 2000. Both still sound excellent IMO. However, I will be very interested In your findings. Might be worth searching for that old topic?

Hi Richard, I am unaware how speaker age with use and time. The only thing I do know is if I replace the tweeters soon and then woofers early next year I’ll have a lovely near new set of SL2 speakers. this is something that may not be able to happen in a year if 2 when replacement stock runs out.
I think the SL2 speaker are a very special naim speaker. The name of the brand and joy that the brand has given me which an emotional attachment and therefore the money and more so the jumping through hoops to get them here via customs is not an issue. Just my very much love hobby.

I was sent by naim/dealer sbl tweeters by a mistake then the sl2 ones rocked up. So I had two sets of different tweeters at one stage. You see when you live in another country nothing goes to plan or is easy to get things correct. So you really do need to be into it to be ready for all the let downs etc. remember things take 3/4 weeks to get to NZ then customs could be another week
Happy to report I got to keep the sbl’s tweeters!
They have gone to good home now.

1 Like

But do new ones sound any better than old tweeters that aren’t broken?

Asking for a friend…

It’ll depend on how good (or not) your old ones are.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.