SL2s (or other boundary speakers) in homes with wood frame construction

Just curious if there’s any hope of getting good results with these - perhaps by using mass-loaded acoustic sheetrock behind them?

I dunno, and can’t talk from experience. however my marvellous intuition tells me acoustic sheetrock is for ‘soundproofing’, which isn’t what is needed for a boundary speaker.
Acoustic sheetrock is not the right product for this job.

I think the best hope for us is to use a brick or stone tile and stick them to the wall. As long as the tiles are made of real brick or stone material they would have good density to help solidify the wall. This would possibly be expensive to get done, but if done correctly would look very attractive.

4 Likes

That is correct, but the way it’s done is basically by being much higher mass than the usual stuff, hence my question (there typically is also a polymer inner barrier, which probably doesn’t help though, so I can see your point).

Brick fascias may be a way of getting more rigidity out of them too, I agree.

That said, there’s no way I would run this experiment without someone with knowledge of how it actually performs - too expensive for something that may or may not work.

Drat it… i was hoping you’d try it out and report back, and if it works then i’d do it too :grin:

2 Likes

There were some posts about this on the old forums from back when the SL2s were current. IIRC there was some success with minimising any cavities and using extra layers of plasterboard.

:grin: ha!

1 Like

My son’s Credos are against an internal plasterboard wall, however the walk is half panelled with tongue and groove wood (probably 9mm thick) that has been glued to the wall. They work surprisingly well there.

Willy.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.