Small active speakers - suggestions

Good question!

I once spent 6 months with all my stuff packed away between houses, lodging with my wife in a 12ft sq bedroom. I could not do without my music, so… No space anywhere. Speakers 3ft tall by 15” by 14” or tgereabouts (IMF TLS50 transmission lines. The room had a built-in wardrobe each side of a chimney breast, with a bout 2ft gap to ceiling. Up tgere they went, lying on their sides, something under the rear to tilt slightly downwards. TT on top of a tall chest of drawers. The sound quite passable - in fact better than I expected, and showed me how it was possible to be flexible in placement.

3 Likes

Happy days! Happy days!

We’re still to break ground on the extension that will give me the room dedicated to hifi and where I also intended to put a pair of active SCM 50s but when the chance came up to buy an ex dem pair I bought them anyway…

In spite of their size they aren’t over bearing so in spite of limited space I couldn’t be happier and can look forward to hearing them in their intended location when the chance comes around.

I also don’t have the hassle or possible loss of moving on an interim pair of speakers when that time comes

If you can, do it now, I’m sure you won’t be disappointed

What about Dynaudio Xeo 10, small , active and seem to accommodate streaming ?

1 Like

Why active for a temporary solution, why not go passive using a NAP100, 110 or 140 with Proac Tab 10s do the lot for £1500, Tabs can go right up against the wall and work well in a small space.

Indeed it so I understand the same design in house tweeter (SH25-76S) but built to lower tolerances so provides a more consistent performance under sustained high power usage which is a more typical demand of pro speakers compared to domestic hifi. Additionally the active 20 and 19 both use the ATC renown Professional bass mid dome driver… one of the best transducers our there in my opinion for very low upper bass to mid distortion … phenomenal for vocals… But boy are they heavy.

The actives have a bass contour control for a degree of room tuning.

Living room is 3.5m x 3.5m and also big brick fireplace taking some of that!

Yes the SCM40s could fit with just a sofa on the opposite wall but SWMBO will probably moan :wink:

Thanks… some excellent suggestions there.

Wanted to get the box count to a minimum…

limited choices for input… really want XLR.

1 Like

Reminds me of university… the room was only 8ft wide and the single bed was against one sidel. I had the desk on the other side with the mission 700’s each side of the desk. Sat at the desk it was like you had a pair of headphones on! You had to sit on the bed with your back against the wall to get any chance of a sound stage! RD80 turntable and nad amp… Happy days :slight_smile:

1 Like

My top choice at the moment but nearly 5K GPB which is a stinger :slight_smile:

I’m going to have a word with my local ATC dealer and see if we can come to some deal for the SCM40 and P1 amps.

1 Like

Not all dealers are Hifi and Pro . They’ll be nearer 4 than 5 . The Pro dealer I visited was in Hornsey :+1:

Well Hornsey isn’t that far away…

Thanks

I would take a look at the Genelec SAM monitors. I lived with their smallest domestic model G One for a year and was very happy (still have them and use them when making music). The SAM models offer a possibility to calibrate the speakers to suit the room, which could be very useful if the speakers are seated close to a wall or on a shelf/table.

1 Like

Not a brand I’d heard of before… thanks I’ll check them out.

Cheers.

steve

You only need a price

Acoustic Energy do an Active version of the AE1 now . The original passives were very popular .

1 Like

Good call Pete the original AE1 is an excellent speaker and if some of this magic has filtered into their active model it could be a winner.

1 Like